Egg colours. First gen, second gen

My EE hens (MOMS) have pea combs. The hens that I have from this off spring

(Gen 2)
2 x black no beard pea comb
1x black beard pea comb
1x black no beard comb

One of those is laying the olive egg in question

So if I understand this. I could expect 3 olive layers and 1 brown layer?
Yes, you can probably expect 3 olive eggers (pea combs) and 1 brown layer (single comb), if the EE hens have the linkage of blue egg/pea comb. Since many Easter Eggers do get the pea comb/blue egg linkage from Ameraucana ancestors, that is likely what happened with yours.

I do have a spanner in the works. Apart from chickens I have a few ducks. My ducks are currently sitting on eggs.

I have out of the blue ended up with day Olds from somewhere. There is a possibility that these chicks could be gen 3.

Gen 3
4 chicks.
Visible fluffy faces on at least 3. Black and white in coloring. Black legs, yellow toes. These chicks are in doors under heat at the moment. Ducks kicked out chicks.

No hens where sitting
Yes, that will definitely be interesting!
Silly ducks, sitting on chicken eggs and then kicking out the chicks when they hatch :lol:

* I don't know how dark an egg shell the rooster came out from. Any way of telling if he is from a darker line?
You can get some idea by looking at what color eggs his daughters lay. If they all lay eggs that are darker than their mothers' eggs, then he has the right genes to cause at least that much change.

Have 4 salmon faverolle x EE would there be any benefits of having them with the BCM ?
If you want darker eggs, then breeding them with the BCM rooster will probably produce daughters that lay darker eggs than those current hens.

If they have a Salmon Faverolle parent, then they must have one not-blue-egg gene. So half of their chicks will lay brown eggs. For any hen that lays blue or green or olive eggs, she must have at least one blue egg gene, so half of her daughters would lay blue or green or olive (probably olive, if the father is a Marans.)

Okay. So unless track gen 1 to a particular hen I will never know if the do have a blue/blue gen

Okay. So unless track gen 1 to a particular hen I will never know if the do have a blue/blue gen
You are saying you won't know if the hen has 2 blue egg genes, unless you track which daughters are hers? Correct. (Unless you get a DNA test to check.)

For all the chicks you hatch, if you know the rooster has no blue egg gene, then you know his chicks cannot have 2 blue egg genes (because he has none to give them.)

Loving this site. Super helpful content and amazing engagement. Hoping to molk it a bit more.

So... in theory i could use my faverolle x hens with BCM roo

Filler eggs/light brown eggs (breeding stock) to get more bearded hens.
Would you always have black feathered chicks if you use a black copper marans rooster? Or could I get the faverolle sexlinked trait.

Would it be possible to get a chocolate layer by breeding chicks back to BCM.

Would, the beard gen have a 50/50 chance in chicks.

Is this a bad idea for pea-comb linked laying tells.

So... in theory i could use my faverolle x hens with BCM roo

Filler eggs/light brown eggs (breeding stock) to get more bearded hens.
Would you always have black feathered chicks if you use a black copper marans rooster? Or could I get the faverolle sexlinked trait.
With a Black Copper Marans rooster, you should get black feathered chicks only (although they may have some leakage of other colors as they grow up.) The color-sexing of the faverolles is not going to happen when crossed with Black Copper Marans.

Would it be possible to get a chocolate layer by breeding chicks back to BCM.
Probably yes, but I don't know if it would happen in that generation or if you would have to pick the darkest pullets and breed back to Marans again for another generation or two.

Would, the beard gen have a 50/50 chance in chicks.
If the mother is half faverolles, then yes her chicks have a 50/50 chance of having a beard when their father has none.

Is this a bad idea for pea-comb linked laying tells.
If you have single-comb birds with no blue egg gene, no problem, no confusion.

If you have birds with one blue egg gene and one pea comb gene that were inherited together from an EE ancestor, also no problem. You will have pea comb/blue egg and not-pea/not-blue egg.

If a pullet pops up who has a single comb and lays eggs with blue (blue/green/olive), or one has a pea comb and lays brown eggs, you will know that a crossover happened (the comb/egg genes rearranged themselves on the chromosomes.) That pullet, and her chicks, will have the new linkage unless it swaps around again. Crossovers should be about 5 per hundred, or 1 per 20, in chickens where they can happen at all. But crossovers can only happen in chickens that have one each of blue/not-blue egg and pea/not-pea comb. If they have a matched pair of egg color genes, or a matched pair of comb type genes, no amount of mixing the genes will give a result that matters (because blue egg and blue egg can change places as many times as they like, but they are both still blue egg genes. Ditto for not-blue egg, or pea comb, or not-pea comb.)

Back
Top Bottom