Egg damage: predator/ pest or not?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Acre4Me, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    we keep our quail in the garage. There is a small gap at edge of the garage door that could allow a mouse or rat in. So far we have not had any pests, although there was evidence that previous older owners of home had a mouse issue in the past, but successfully got rid of them. We sweep often and keep feed in metal bins. We found this egg yesterday, and I can’t tell if this is egg damage from a quail, or if it might be from a mouse (or rat). The egg had fallen out of the cage and was on the table that the cages sit on when I found it. I found it within 45 min of it being there as I had just cleaned the entire area (cages/tables/floor) thoroughly. Not knowing what it looks like when a mouse or rat eats an egg, I figured I’d ask here. If rodents are thinking this is a place to be we want to dissuade them now. 1C5177BF-269D-4EC4-9476-29E129212BCF.jpeg 899E9FC1-829C-4FBB-B9B8-371FF3C6F351.jpeg

2. If the egg was not there 45 minutes prior then I would say that something 'SUCKED' the insides out of the egg as the old timers would say.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: