Egg dating?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gratefulchick, Mar 5, 2009.

1. gratefulchick

gratefulchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Sorry if this has been asked and answered. I searched and couldn't find it. I have 13 chickens and only get about 5-6 eggs per day but would like to keep track of what's laid when. I read about the laser deal but that doesn't seem feasible for my small scale. I was numbering egg cartons so I knew which were the newest. This is small scale so I don't fill a carton a day to date that carton. I also don't want to write on them for future sale reasons. Hope this makes sense. PS-So grateful for this website. I can't tell you how many times I've had a question and log in to find someone else had the same one! Thanks!

2. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    I write on my eggs with no problems in selling. Some people like to see the date. You can also get a little stamp, like what librarians used to have. In europe, many eggs are dated.

3. gratefulchick

Feb 24, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Thank you-that would probably be the easiest. Is there anything I should NOT write on them with?

4. eschwaderer

eschwaderer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Ohio
    The ink used (in the EU) doesn't penetrate the shell.

5. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Sharpie marker or anything with chemicals [​IMG]

6. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I use a mechanical lead pencil to mark the day of the month on them. We have never had any eggs over a month old, so duplicate numbers has never been a problem. The people that buy my eggs like to see the date right on the eggs.

7. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    I was the same way as you, wanted to keep track. I finally went to my local Staples and found a small pack of white sheets of stick on price tags, about the size of a dime each or possibly smaller. I write the date on the tag with a Sharpie or a regular pen, then I put an arrow either to the right or straight down. Then I load the eggs in the carton from left to right and just use one little price tag per clutch of eggs.

I can not remember what the price of the blister pack was but there are lots of sheets with tons of sticky price tags on each sheet. I know the pack was under ten bucks and I LOVE to open a carton and see each days' progress. Actually, I collect my eggs into an 18 pack carton so I can either load three eggs down or six eggs across. I always load the eggs in the order we read, from top to bottom or left to right.

8. gratefulchick

Feb 24, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Thanks SIS-I went to Staples yesterday. I work at an inn and asked the chef to save the big egg flats (hold about 3 dozen) for me so I can put my dated eggs in there and use the cartons for sales. It will be nice to see progress. I tend to get a little picky-thanks for all the suggestions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by