egg delivery -- how do I help?

sharone

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 2, 2008
Wichita
My chicken has been roosting for 3 days. I checked her this morning and I could see an egg "crowning." I gave her some water and ended up disturbing her so much that she got up, walked around and ate, so I knew she wasn't too bad off.

How long can a chicken try to lay an egg before it gets serious?

What can I do to help in such a case? My chicken "help book" suggests breaking the egg inside her, but I am too afraid of complications that could result from this to try it.

Thanks for any and all advice. Sharon

Don't break the egg inside of her. She could cut up her insides and cause infection. I'd get her in a warm bath asap. Massage the area while she's in the bath and put her in her own area where it is dark and quiet. It's probably best she not get up and walk around right now. Keep her food and water close to her so she doesn't have to do a lot of moving to eat and drink.

I wanted to add that you should gently lube up her vent area. Be very careful because you don't want that egg to break. Don't poke around or put anything in her vent. Also, if you have polyvisol (a children's vitamin, get it without Iron), give her three drops in the beak three times a day and give her a Tum (crush it up and put it in a treat... some of them will eat it by itself).

Thanks for the idea of a water bath. I would not have thought of that. It is night now, so I will probably wait until tomorrow.

How long is "normal" for a chicken to lay a difficult egg?

What are the signs of distress where I need to start thinking "this is an emergency?"

I feel bad for the chicken, but one thing that is kind of cute is how the other chickens are hanging around and keep checking in on the bird trying to lay her egg. I only have 3 hens, so they are less aggressive with each other and pal around more.

Back
Top Bottom