Egg Dilemma... Advice?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sixlittlechicks09, Jan 29, 2011.

1. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Hey everyone! So I'm having a little dilemma about eggs. I got in touch with a woman via craigslist who wanted to buy 2dozen of my EE hen's eggs. So I started collecting them, but with only two hens it took a TON of time to get 2 dozen. Then yesterday my cat jumped up on the counter [​IMG] and knocked them off, breaking a bunch. Now there are 15 green eggs. I originally said 10 bucks a dozen, but I feel bad charging her that because 1. Some of them are almost two weeks old. 2. They got all jangled around when the cat knocked them off and 3. Most of them were cold when we collected them, so I don't know how well they'll hatch. My dad doesn't think it's fair to charge her anything for the eggs, because we were just going to eat them anyway and there's no guarentee they're going to hatch. My mom thinks I should still charger her 10$ for the fifteen eggs, and let her know that if they don't hatch we'll give her another two dozen for free. I don't know what to do. What do you all think?

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    With only 2 hens to provide the eggs, the maximum number of eggs I would sell at a time would be 6.
    Viability goes down each day, and although you CAN hatch an egg that is older than 10 days old, I wouldn't charge anything for them.
    I would tell her what happened and give her the option to buy fewer eggs for a cheaper price once you get some fresh ones.[​IMG]
    There's never a guarantee that they're going to hatch, so that really isn't a good criteria to use.
    Good luck to you!

3. sixlittlechicks09

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Yeah, that's what I said, we offered to send her the first dozen as soon as we got them, then the second dozen after that, but she insisted on just picking up the two dozen all at once.

4. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    What easttxchick said. Be sure she knows that the viability goes way down.

5. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    My opinion? I'd just give them to her. They've been sitting, they were cold, why not just offer them for free and tell her if any hatch you would appreciate some cash?

6. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Quote:If that's the case, she deserves whatever she gets. I would charge her the full price (or just $10 if you only give her 15 eggs) and be done with it. If she knew you only had 2 hens, and she still wanted all 2 dozen at once, it's her problem. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I wouldnt charge her that much, no way...
    The eggs were cold..they took a tumble... they are old...

8. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I think I would explain the whole thing and then tell her she can have this batch because they may or may not be good, OR she can wait for different ones and the suggest the 6 at a time.

9. sixlittlechicks09

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Hey everyone, thanks for the advice.
    I ended up giving her the 15 for ten bucks and told her if none of them hatch I will either refund her money or give her more eggs. She seemed thrilled? Apparently an owl and a mink just killed her entire flock in the matter of a few days, so she just wants to start rebuilding her hens as soon as possible. I felt a little bad, but I guess if they don't hatch, no biggie, we can just try again. Thanks again for everyone's advice!

10. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I'm glad it worked out for you, and her [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by