Egg disappeared from under broody hen

A 5 gallon bucket, about 1\3 filled with water and enough sunflower seeds to cover the surface of the water. Provide an access ramp, mice jump in thinking its a bucket full of seeds and don't come out.

I wouldn't leave it out where the chickens can access it, but its easy enough to set it out at night when you close the coop and put it away in the morning when you open. I have way too many animals to use poison or snap traps, the bucket does a good job.

Good luck!

What a great idea! I wouldn't doubt that there are mice and rats around my place, although I haven't seen any signs. I'm saving your instructions in my chicken files in case I do need a trap in the future. Thank you!

I've tried the bucket with water and a soda can to spin on a wire, with peanut butter on the can.  No takers.  I like the sunflower seed idea.  I can see how a little Mickey might think he'd struck gold with that!  Does it work with rats???

The spinning can and PB didn't work for me either. Yep, it does work with rats too. But, I've found rats seem to be better swimmers than mice. We had a pretty bad infestation of pack rats in our barn when we first moved in here. Instead of finding them dead like the mice, they'd still be alive and swimming in the bucket (in that case, I went ahead and dispatched them). A bigger bucket is a good idea for rats too. In the 5 gallon, if a few were in there, they'd sometimes be standing on each other when I'd find them, so I'm sure some of them escaped.

What a great idea! I wouldn't doubt that there are mice and rats around my place, although I haven't seen any signs. I'm saving your instructions in my chicken files in case I do need a trap in the future. Thank you!

Your welcome! Not really my idea though. I found the instructions here on BYC a long while ago and just pass them on every now and then :D ;)

The spinning can and PB didn't work for me either. Yep, it does work with rats too. But, I've found rats seem to be better swimmers than mice. We had a pretty bad infestation of pack rats in our barn when we first moved in here. Instead of finding them dead like the mice, they'd still be alive and swimming in the bucket (in that case, I went ahead and dispatched them). A bigger bucket is a good idea for rats too. In the 5 gallon, if a few were in there, they'd sometimes be standing on each other when I'd find them, so I'm sure some of them escaped.
I wonder if putting a bit of soap in the bucket to break the surface tension, and help water log their fur would help them to sink. Also, I'm guessing that the water needs to be deep enough that the critter can't touch bottom, in the case of rats, perhaps 1/2 full, or a much deeper bucket.

I wonder if putting a bit of soap in the bucket to break the surface tension, and help water log their fur would help them to sink.  Also, I'm guessing that the water needs to be deep enough that the critter can't touch bottom, in the case of rats, perhaps 1/2 full, or a much deeper bucket.

Thats an excellent idea! But, I also feed those sunflower seeds out to my chickens after a few days so as not to waste them. Maybe I could shell them and just put the shells in the bucket (that would take a fair amount of time though).
I'm not sure how my bucket will do tonight, its supposed to get down to 25F, so I imagine it'll freeze. Maybe a shot of vodka would help (the water not freeze and the rodents drown faster). I'll have to ponder it a little.

A deeper bucket would definitely be better for rats. We cut down a plastic food grade barrel to use this year, I haven't seen any evidence of rats in a while, so I haven't tested it yet.

Have had this happen several times. Including hatched chicks completely missing. Every single time to find a black snake hiding around in the coop!

x2 on the snake! had the exact thing happen last summer, eggs disappearing 1 or 2 at a time, basically every other night, then the chicks one at a time. Couldn't convince broody into a safer location. Finally found chubby mr snake and re-homed him several miles down the road. This year, broody is in a much safer place! So far all eggs accounted for!

Back
Top Bottom