Egg Eaters - What can be Done?!

catdaddy66

Songster
10 Years
Nov 18, 2009
Lugoff, SC
I have been to the coop today and for the second time in a week I have found a broken/open shell with little or no yolk left. I believe this to be due to several reasons: boredom in the coop, not checking the eggs daily or more often, or hunger (my son neglected his feeding chores one day and I did not check behind him til the next day).

My question is once the alterable variables are handled (second and third), how do I manage the other? I give scratch and BOSS once a week but don't think this helps much w/ boredom. I cannot let them out of the coop due to predators. Another question is will the perpetrators ever stop or is this activity "locked in" once started?

Any info would be helpful, and thanks!!

I can tell you what I did since we had an egg eater. But also try doing a search on this topic. I put some golf balls in the nest. Put a cloth over the opening of the nest box to make it dark. I went out to collect eggs as often as possible. Several times a day.I don't think scratch will help any. You can try and find which hen is eating the eggs and take her out for a few days and put her in a dog crate. I did not do this. I just stayed on top of things for about a week. Went out and checked hourly. This is something you don't want other hens picking up. Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom