egg eaters

Hatchegg

Hatching
Jan 16, 2016
Mass
got 8 Barred Rocks and only getting 2-3 eggs a day.
found that they where eating there eggs so i purchased wooden eggs in hopes of them pecking the wood to stop them from pecking the eggs...it didn't work...so then i blow out some eggs & filled with mustard put in the nest..eat them also !! then i blow out some more and filled with a mix of mustard & hot sauce ( 1000 scofield) unbelievable but that didn't work. i know its winter and they slow down but not down to 3 eggs a day out of 8 hens.
got 4 nesting box , fresh/clean water daily. 8 foot X 8 foot X 6feet high coop (plenty of room). 10' X 20' foot fenced in run. and feeding extra egg feed from Poulan co.
i don't see any sign of egg eating but no increase in egg production.
I AM @ A LOSS !! any help ???

Thank you
Hatch egg farm

There may be one or more culprits. If you could find a way to isolate one hen at a time and record the number of eggs, you may find the culprits. As for what to do with them after you've identified them is up to you cos it seems you've tried to stop it already.

Best of luck

Ct

What I suggest you do is feed them oyster shells. I feed it to my gamefowl and it always works good. Something else I would do is let them roam free. (Cut their wings if they'll fly away. Don't worry, it's harmless).

I had this problem and put several golf balls in each best. Also have them oyster shells to make the shells harder. Unless you're supplementing their light so they get 12-14 hours a day your egg production will go down because the hours of daylight aren't enough right now. Hope this helps! :)

MarcyR1011, did the oyster shells & the light comes on @ 3am. but Thank you for your suggestion
BBQJOE. i will try the food dye...Thank you
Chickenmanjim7, meal worms cost alot!!! i guess i have to stop being cheep....Thanks.
Gamefowl-layers, cant let them run free they end up in neighbors flower beds :) and i have to live here...lol. chicken have 2 10 x 10 dog kennels (tied together) to roam in.

CT Ken, going to try the food dye 1st then if that dont work then i will isolate one hen at a time.Thank you for your suggestion.

Thank you from ;
(trying to be) Hatch egg fram

I had this problem too. I kept finding leftover shells and yolk on one of my girls beaks. If you're sure they're eating eggs I read that sometimes they'll eat eggs if they're lacking protein, bored, or they discover that eggs are tasty after one gets accidentally broken. Oyster shells helped make their shells stronger. I gave them higher protein treats and put plastic easter eggs and eggs made of chalk in the coop. (she hated that) Then she started to stalk hens that were laying. I had to let her free range (until the others were done laying each day) for a few days. After that she stopped. Good luck!

How old are these birds?
How long have you had them?
Were you getting more eggs before and if so, when did the egg count drop?

What is the protein level of the feed?
What other foods are you giving?
How are you keeping your water from freezing?

Last edited:
5 are almost 2 &. 3 are 10 months.
The egg count dropped off about 4 month ago and yes was getting more eggs before.
Not giving any outher food . Stopped thinking that was the problem.
Don't now the protein, it layer pellets from poulan grain company.tried Blueseal & Purina.
Keep the water from freezing by using a light bulb in a cinder block under the water feeder

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom