Egg eaters!!!!

I think that would make a big mess....and would distinguish fakies from real ones.
You want them to think the fakies are real.

Well, I don't know if it would work anyway. It was just something I happened to think of at that moment.
I agree though, just using fake eggs is probably the best thing to do,

THANK YOU for posting this question, as it is exactly what I came on tonight to ask about! I have 19 hens and have been getting 6 eggs a day after their winter break started. I figured they were hiding them because they free range but I caught a couple hens pecking, breaking and eating eggs in their nesting box (I have a large communal one) 2x in the past week. Then the other I collected eggs and set the basket down and a few swarmed it and broke 3 in the time from when I saw it and got to it about 4 seconds later!

I'm definitely going to order fake eggs tonight and see if that helps curb the behavior. Also considering roll-out nesting boxes.

Good luck!!
Patty

DISH SOAP?! No, that might kill the hens! I wouldn't do that!
It shouldn’t kill them, especially in small amounts. The eggs might taste a bit soapy, and they *might* end up getting some diarrhea, but I don’t think it should hurt them all that much.

Back
Top Bottom