Egg eaters

gmachicken

Songster
13 Years
Jan 18, 2010
Grants Pass, OR
Good evening,
I don't know if my hens/Pullets are eating eggs on purpose or not. Are they pecking them open or are the shells too soft and are breaking when they get in the box then they are eating it. Is there anyway to tell?

In any case what do I do about it?

Sorry if I,m in the wrong topic area.

I don't think any of my hens peck eggs open intentionally, but most of them will take advantage of a broken egg and eat it.

What are the shells like when you crack them open for eating?If thin/papery, supplementation with calcium and vitamin D should help.

If you have a definite egg breaker and eater, they are probably best culled.

Sandie

I read a post that advised curing hens of egg eating by feeding BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower Seeds). Because they are high in Omega 3, the hens didn't seem to have the same need to eat the eggs.

BOSS sounds interesting. The same one the wild birds eat and is it mixed in with their regular food or just a treat each day. We have 17. I haven't seen any of them deliberately breaking eggs. I'll throw out some oyster shell JIC that is the problem. Their shells are not overly hard so maybe that is part of the problem.

Thank you for your insight.
smile.png

I really don't know how much BOSS the person was feeding the birds to prevent/cure egg eating. I believe it was served as a treat. (Sorry, not an expert, just passing on the info - wish I could remember the name of the thread...). Mine aren't laying yet, but I take a handful out sometimes and let them eat from my hand so that they love me
smile.png

I fill up an egg with dijon mustard. You blow it out like youre cleaning the egg for easter or what gave you, then take a syringe, and fill it p with hot mustard.....theyll only break it once LOL

Thank you all very much. I will get some BOSS give it a try. I have 17 hens and pullets, probably said that already. So I will start with the treat idea with their scratch and maybe mix some in their feed.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom