Egg Eaters

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Oregon Blues, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Had anyone had ducks who are egg eaters? I've always thought it was a chicken problem, not a problem with ducks.

I'm slightly alarmed this morning to find a frozen egg with the shell eaten off of it. I am assuming that the egg froze, expanded and broke the shell, and the ducks nibbled at the broken edge because it was sticking up.

I'm really hoping that this won't teach the ducks to eat eggs. They didn't eat any of the interior of the egg, because it was frozen solid.

They have free choice oyster shell and shells are normally quite hard.

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN

I have never had a problem with it, but I hope no more of yours start to REALLY eat them!...

3. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    My friend & I were discussing this the other day because I discovered a few frozen eggs in my chicken coop (untouched by my girls). She said she'd had some of her flock of 35 ducks eat the shells off of frozen eggs but it never led to egg eating there. She thought they were just nibbling on what they could nibble on like they do the siding, or the bumper of the car.
    Though it is not personal experience, I hope it is some consolation.

4. k0r1nag

k0r1nag Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Kelso
    I actually feed my excess eggs back to my chickens and ducks as hard boiled eggs, shells and all. I crack two eggs together and break them in half, then toss them in the pens. In 6 years not one duck has taken to eating eggs and I have only ever had two black sex-link hens become egg eaters (and they began eating eggs before I began feeding the eggs back).

Just my two cents.

ps- my chickens and ducks get free choice oyster shell as well as pasture and they don't get eggs more than once a month, if then.

5. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    I had an egg eater duck for awhile. She was eating the whole thing just leaving a wet spot and a tiny bit of shell. I got her to stop by blowing a few eggs out and refilling with cayenne, mustard, and vinegar. Adding an extra thick layer of bedding to the nest boxes so there was no chance of accidental breakage. It took about four days and a few hot eggs to be broken into but the egg eating stopped.

6. xIndigoSkyx

xIndigoSkyx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    St.Albert, Alberta
    My ducks eat there eggs all the time! Steppin on them then eatin them up makes me angry! I always have to go in and get them before their et... Silly thing is I give them calcium and boilEd eggs to there hearts content!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by