Egg Eating,and possible broody hen....

savingpurple

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
NW Ohio
Geez....do I seriously have an "S" on my forehead?????

Opened the coop up today to find all the ladies eating an egg. Okay I thought, maybe a soft shelled one and the lady just couldn't make it to the nest box....got as much as I could out of there.

Folding laundry and looked out, to see not one single chicken....was afraid they had my injured one cornered in the coop, so made a mad dash out to the coop,a nd no, they wer all fine, eating yet another egg...
he.gif
barnie.gif

Now the last hen to lay today, will NOT leave her nest box, and when I nicely asked her if I could please just have your egg, then you can sit there, all day long, if you wish.....Well, she puffed up, and growled, but won't leave the nest. She keeps arranging her egg under her?

So, back to my original question....do I have an "S" on my forehead ??

I went form 2 months of fun, to an aggressive hen, that had to be rehomed, immedietly after that I find an injured hen that has been almost 1 1/2 mnths in the process, to egg eating , to a possible broody hen.....

can I catch a break...naw, someone thought this would be more fun to see me stressed !!!What's next mites/lice???

Any help on the egg eating, or a possible broody hen?

Last edited:
Well, I don't have a broody hen, thank goodness, and the egg eating I guess I can do my own research......thanks anyway....

Hi SavingPurple! While I can only speak from experience, I have noticed that when one of my hens decides to "rule the roost" as it were, and expands to critical mass in the nesting box, she often kicks eggs out of the box from other girls (on purpose or by accident, I do not know) which leads to breakage and egg eating.

When I get a broody hen, I just endure the pecks and growls and shuffle the eggs out from under her. Maybe my girls just aren't that dedicated to the cause, or this is the normal way of solving the issue, but they usually lose interest in the nest after a day or so.

Hope the lice and mites plague hasn't yet descended upon you....

Back
Top Bottom