Egg Eating Chicken and I am out of ideas

Thanks for all of the ideas. I too had found that link with the suggestions of what might curb the habit, so far I have done it all but try the chicken blinders on her. I guess when winter comes and she needs to be in the run with the other ladies, I may resort to that. Unless I can find an old farmer who wants a troublesome chicken
D.gif

All 3 of my hens attack as soon as an egg hits the ground and I believe im going to havev to sell them at the flea market this weekend ..... 1 chicken ate the mustard filled egg like it was the best meal ever .... im lost .... if you get your problem fixed let me know how

I was having this problem with my dear Henrietta a while back, and getting rid of her was not gonna fly since she is my favorite girl, thinks she's a person stuck in a chicken suit....
Anyways I read on a similar thread here to blow out a couple eggs, fill it with soap, cover the holes with wax, and place in nest. Be very diligent about pulling real eggs quickly. The egg eater will get a nasty surprise. Henrietta didn't do this again for a very long time. Every once in a while we have to do a quick reminder, but I also ramp up calcium around this time too. It happened just a couple weeks ago again when it got very hot, and I actually needed up with an egg bound hen as well, so I think calcium deficiency was to blame due to the heat. But try the egg soap trick!

I suggest you make a great big pot of chicken and dumplins. I personally don't believe there's any way to break an egg eatin' chicken or a chicken killin' dog. I've had experience with both.

Try putting fake eggs or golf balls and collect eggs alot .... supposedly when they peck the fake eggs or golf balls will not be comfortable in the beak and they should stop

I'd be interested in seeing how you built those roll-out nesting boxes in a regular coop! I have an occasional egg eater. Very occasional, so I haven't been able to figure out who the culprit is. I just find a few shell remnants in there every month or two. I also have one who refuses to sleep on the roosting branches, and prefers to sleep in a nesting box. So, of course, that's the one everybody likes to lay in, and it's full of poop half the time.

Back
Top Bottom