egg eating chickens

Oh you have an egg eater. Chicken eat eggs for a variety of reasons but most commonly, out of curiosity or because they found that the eggs provide another source of calcium. It's pretty hard to break egg-eaters once they start but it's possible. Try first putting out either oyster shells or crushed (make sure they're crushed so they no longer resemble eggs) egg shells. I'm sure other people will share their ways of breaking egg eaters but when mine started I tried just about everything and they have actually pretty much stopped, knock on wood, after almost a year. Just make sure they have an extra source of calcium available at all times.

Often chickens will eat cracked or broken eggs and sometimes that happens by accident. Even my Button quail are quick to gobble up an egg if I accidentally step on it. If your chickens are deliberately breaking open good, hard shelled eggs then that is another problem.

There is nothing wrong with feeding cooked eggs to your chickens or pulverizing egg shells and giving them to the laying hens for eggstra calcium.

So... what is going on with your chickens?
BTW if you haven't introduced yourself officially yet there is a template and forum for new members. :welcome
I tried to introduce myself multiple times and it says that that thread is no longer accepting

There is nothing wrong with feeding cooked eggs to your chickens or pulverizing egg shells and giving them to the laying hens for eggstra calcium.

So... what is going on with your chickens?
BTW if you haven't introduced yourself officially yet there is a template and forum for new members. :welcome
But it is quite annoying if they eat and break the eggs in the coop, before you can collect them. Plus the yolk will get everywhere and it’s just a big problem. I don’t think the OP is talking about cooking and feeding them eggs.

Have you tried blowing out an egg and filling it with mustard? They hate mustard and will decide to never eat another egg.
I used to have an egg eater but i locked her up for a week inside the quarantine zone and put her in at night. She hasn't eaten an egg since.

i am not a hundred percent sure,but allmost positive i have an egg eater. every morning i go out and get eggs, i find yolk and some of my eggs are wet. not once tho, have i found any shell parts. are there any ways of catching the culprit or putting an end to this? i have 10 nest boxes for about 15 hens at the moment so i wouldnt think its accidenttal at all. id appreciate any help, i wasnt sure if i should comment on here or start another thread. so i apologize in advance if im taking your thread over eugenia.....

Back
Top Bottom