Egg eating chickens

joann123

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 29, 2012
Hello everyone i have a big problem hens started eating eggs so i up the protein and put fake eggs in the nest filled with mustard still having problems What can i do? Please help!!

When that happened to me I separated the hens that were doing egg eating and kept them in isolation for a while, about three weeks, no treats just there normal food in a smaller cage. After that...no more problem.

I know this is commonsense, but try to remove the eggs as quickly as possible. We had an egg eater once (rather, she just pecked holes in ALL the eggs
he.gif
), and although we never could determine which hen(s) it was(were), we fixed the problem by upping protein (as you mentioned), collecting the eggs as soon as possible, and giving them other treats to peck in the run (flock blocks, scraps, etc.).

Also forgot to say that I believe ours was self-inflicted, as we sometimes gave them an egg to eat, and some of the shells back for calcium. We definitely should have crushed the shells up better so they didn't associate!

This winter there has been a lot of snow where i am, so my hens have stayed in the coop most of the time. I've nticed lately that when they are confined and bored they will sometimes peck a few eggs open. Preoccupying and giving them something more to do might help them get over their egg eating habit.....just a thought from my experiences

thanks mine was inside also they want to stay in there for some reason ! running out there all the time to try and stop this egg eating

I think mine happened due to a hen being kicked out the nests everyday. The egg was Laid in the run while was shopping and I came back to cracke open shell , none eaten but the insides gone. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom