1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

#$%^& egg eating ingrates!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Uzuri, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Yeah, just need some time to vent. Not looking for advice, I know all the plan, procedures, and old-wives tales for breaking the little buggers.

Noticed my numbers were down a couple weeks ago. Figured they just might not be "into" it yet, due to different weather or whatever -- minor changes in numbers are gonna happen.

Until last week, when I put my hand down on an egg with a huge hole in it.

Uh oh.

Well, even then I could give them the benefit of a doubt -- accidents DO happen. So I up the calcium to make sure they can't break them accidentally and sit back to watch.

Wednesday morning I catch them eating something suspiciously eggy. OK, this is war, but I'm in a rush right now and late for work, so would you ladies please behave until I get time to deal with you? Yeah right. Well, no evidence of other damaged eggs Wednesday, anyway, I'm thinking my 'dottes are laying stronger shells than the Wellies and maybe that's still a deterrent for now.

Thursday morning, after spending the night battling the WORST case of heartburn I've ever experienced (seriously, whodathunk it was possible to burp nonstop for 8 hours?), I split my flock in half -- four to the old mobile coop, four get to stay home. Let's find out who's actually doing the egg-breaking here.

Thursday night I come home to find the alpha hen and BUFFY(!) with egg on their faces -- and egg all over the inside of their new little doghouse for use as a mobile nesting box. The little twerps. And Buffy, after she earned her name, too! Well, Buffster, names only save you from funded depreciation, they won't save you from criminal punishment, oh, no no no.

Today Buffy and the boss hen are in the old mobile coop and the other six are in the main house. We'll see if and where we get busted eggs. Unfortunately, it's going to get harder to narrow things down, now. If I can go a few days with only egg damage out in the mobile coop then I know it's one or both of them doing the actual breaking -- but I've got to figure out which one without putting them back in with the others to possibly spread the influence, and I don't have a good way to split them three ways, not with the weather we have predicted.

Then, well... I think someone's getting invited to lunch. Let's hope it's not Buffy, because that'd be kinda sad since she was saved from the table once already, but I got chickens for eggs, not pets, and I won't tolerate an egg eater.

2. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Sometimes they eat eggs to up their protein... any chance they aren't getting enough feed/proper layer protein %?

3. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    They're getting calf-manna as a supp on top of a decent layer feed, so I really doubt it. But I did up that, too, when this all started.

I think they're a little bored, nothing but mud for weeks here, and I just got the doghouse so they weren't getting days out in the mobile until recently.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by