Egg Eating?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pheasant283, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Pheasant283

Pheasant283 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    SD
    Have 8 young hens who are just starting to lay. Went out to get eggs yesterday, had 5 eggs 1 eaten and 1 pecked. Any suggestions on what to do or what I am doing wrong.
    We have 8 hens, & 3 nest boxes, & 1 golfball in each nest box.

2. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    This seems to be common and they usually work out of it in a couple of weeks. That's what happened to me, and I was very worried about it--for naught. Per a university extension article, I fed an alternative calcium source (troughs of milk) for a week or so to help strengthen shells. I read that hens may "test" the eggs by pecking, especially as a new and unfamiliar object; if they crack, may as well eat and try again, as egg not viable. Shells seem to be weaker/funky/rubbery until they get their laying systems in gear. Good luck!

3. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

I also think it's just curiousity, as they're so young. But it is something you need to keep an eye on, as you don't want them to get into the habit of eating eggs. Is there any chance you could check for eggs more frequently and remove them from the nest sooner?

Some people give their birds yoghurt - for the same reason that milk was suggested in the previous post.

http://muckycluckers.blogspot.com/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by