Egg eating ???

Quote:
It shouldn't be that hard. All you need is a slight slope....you need to build nest boxes with a slight slope on the floor, just enough to roll the eggs (you may want to experiement with the incline by actually rolling an egg) then attach the back wall with a gap of about 2-3 inches between the bottom of the wall and the floor. The floor should extend a little ways behind the back wall, and put a lip there to catch the egg. I don't know if you get the idea of what I'm picturing.......

Yes, that makes sense. If it continues I'll have to build new boxes. Right now they use an old TV stand with two shelves that I attached to the wall. lol It's been fine until recently, but I have found several other eggs that had slight cracks, like they might have been pecked at, but they never broke the membrane.

I had a serious problem with this, but collecting the eggs early for a few weeks and adding a lip so no eggs roll out accidently and break when they walk out of the nest seems to have solved it. It will drive you crazy, though, no doubt about it!

I have a bantam cochin who will eat broken pigeon eggs and I have caught her on occasion trying to break them. As long as the calcium is in good supply she cant open the chicken eggs. She hasnt been much of a problem though. They get lots of calcium and I gather the eggs 2 times daily.

Back
Top Bottom