egg eating

debramr1

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 9, 2013
hi i wonder if anyone can help...my neighbour also keeps chucks the same as we do but one has started eating the eggs...she has ate 2 in the last 2 days...all he is finding is a softish egg shell and nothing else...the breed they are are the foghorn breed..he has been told to destroy her...he doesnt really want to do that if anything else can be done..so i thought i would put it to yourselves to see if anyone else has any other ideas...thanks

hi i wonder if anyone can help...my neighbour also keeps chucks the same as we do but one has started eating the eggs...she has ate 2 in the last 2 days...all he is finding is a softish egg shell and nothing else...the breed they are are the foghorn breed..he has been told to destroy her...he doesnt really want to do that if anything else can be done..so i thought i would put it to yourselves to see if anyone else has any other ideas...thanks
Egg eating is a habit that can spread through the flock and almost never broken. Once the other hens associate the egg with food they will eat them. At times an accidental break starts them off. You can buy a nest that lets the egg roll out of it. I think your best and easiest choice is to cull the offending hen. As far as your soft shells that can be cured by feeding oyster shell.

I cured mine, I put golf balls in ALL the nests and after 3 weeks no more egg eating, I don't see why you should cull, you can get roll away nest liners for less than £6 on eBay, and then she can't get to the egg

He had tried the golf ball and that worked short time but she's back to eating them. Think he's going to try the roll away liners and see wot that does .x

Back
Top Bottom