Egg eating!!!

lovechickensss

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2015
Help!! I think my chickens are eating their eggs. I realise this might be because they are not getting enough calcium but I've put grit in there and they have their layer pellets. I need some suggestions on what to do so please help!xxx

Oyster shell, not grit. Rollaway nesting boxes are great for this because the birds can't get at the eggs. Also you can make mustard or dish soap filled eggs by blowing the contents out of an egg and filling them with mustard or dish soap. Put the eggs were they can be eaten and the horrible taste tends to turn the birds off of egg eating, at least for a while in my experience... The only surefire solution is starting over with a new flock, but I didn't want to cull any of my birds so I did rollaway nesting boxes (which also stopped my dogs from stealing the eggs) and I've done the mustard filled eggs... There's an article on here that's pretty darn good. I think if you just search "egg eating" in articles you should be able to find it...

Last edited:

I used a syringe to fill the eggs with mustard, the pink stuff in the paper bowl is wax I melted to hold the eggs upright...

Then I peeled back the bowl and cut the eggs out of the wax, keeping a wax base too, so I could sit the eggs anywhere with out them rolling..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom