Quote:
Poor baby! I hope not.
hugs.gif

Okay this is the set-up now.

The tub

temps as of 7:30

duckling

*this pics are links to the larger pics, just click*

we removed mostly all of the shell but he's still in the membrane. the green cloth he's on is damp.

I haven't seen him move but my sister said he did, so I'm not sure. We feel like we want to straighten out his neck haha. Would that be a bad idea?

With the outside eggs, we think that maybe (if the tub gets stable) we'll bring them in after they first break through so we can monitor their progress and be sure clyde won't bother them. What do you think?

Last edited:
The towels hanging over the tub's walls need to be wet, use warm water. Your humidity is to low from the reading. Try to get it to 75-85%. It needs to be like a sauna. It will go up nicely once the towels are soaked. Keep the temp under 99. 95-99 is best at this point. Ducks rest a lot in between while hatching. They sometimes sit there for hours not doing a thing, so don't worry. The duckling looks like it was ready to pip. I bet the drake got started, because of the movement.

Gosh I hope it make's it.About the only thing you can do is keep the egg moist and dont pick at it anymore.With that much blood it surely wasn't ready to hatch.But it may survive I hope.I hope you can save the rest of the egg's.Duck's usualy take a bit longer to hatch than chick's and can quickly dry out and get stuck and they have more oozies than chicks and if they are allowed to stay in egg too long the gel become's like super glue and it just crystalize's and the duck's will die.About all you can do is keep them warm and moist and avoid as much air flowing over them as possible if you decide to bring the other egg's in.Good Luck I will pray for your duckie's.

We decided to bring the other 9 eggs in. My sister and I are going to switch off monitoring the tub unless it stabilizes. We dampened the towels on the side of the walls. And the humidity is now at 83%. We have the thermometer that was in the picture and it says 99 degrees so it measures the temp of the whole box.. And then we have a meat thermometer (
roll.png
) poking under the broken egg and it says 97 degrees.

I noticed this black spot on one of the eggs. We think it's the duckling poking at the shell and it's getting thinner. What do you think?

Also, we saw duck x (the egg that clyde opened. we need to call him something so you know i'm talking about him once the other ducklings hatch) move and we think he's just resting like katharinad said.

What else can we do?

Nothing else can be done, just check every 6 hours. Very often you will see a grey shadow developing under the shell, that is a sign the duck is working on it. You can usually hear a tapping from inside when you hold it to your ear. You later will see a pip, which looks like a pin is breaking out, or a dimple going outwards. From that point it can still take 24-48 hours until the duck hatches. They are really taking their time, so you will have to sit tight. Try not to open the tub up to often, because the heat and moisture will escape causing a difficult hatch. Name for the duck. Breakout, speedy, rush, champ, oh you will find a name once the personality shines.

haha, we're not naming him until we know he's going to live. my youngest sister is very sensitive to that stuff. those names are adorable though

Okay, if the tub is stable from now until midnight (about 3 hours) the next time we'll check is about 6:30 in the morning. If it won't stay stable by itself, we'll take turns staying up with it. Sound good?

p.s we can see x's foot now and it's super cute
smile.png

He will be fine, if he pushes with his foot. He is not bleeding anymore, which is important. He is just exhausted right now and needs the rest. Don't worry about the neck being bend, that will all straighten once he is out and moving. You guys don't need to sit next to the tub watching all night, just check on the temp every couple hours. I guess you guys wont sleep anyway. I think he will be out some time tomorrow, and once he starts peeping you know he is ok.

Back
Top Bottom