Egg Exploded but the Chick was Still Alive

ReformedPastor

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2021
First time incubator here, not new to chickens though. Started with 24 eggs, one super big one broke because of an overly curious child pressing on the flimsy plastic. 10 eggs developed blood rings. 1 egg after 14 days was clear and obviously not fertilized or self-terminated near the beginning. I have 12 eggs that on the 14th day candling all demonstrated chick development and lively movement inside. All remaining 12 smelled like eggs and had no oozing or discoloration inside.

Over the night an egg in my incubator exploded out the bottom. Today is day 18 and so I cleaned the incubator and put the other eggs into lockdown. It did not explode like a grenade, but downward out the back. I went to investigate the egg that exploded cracked the egg open into a bowl and the chick was at 18 days old but the trauma of the cracking the egg open caused him to bleed out. He was moving in the bowl for a few minutes until the bowl went from yellow (yoke broke) to mix of yellow and red for obvious reasons. I terminated the chick to ensure it didn't suffer after the bowl turned reddish.

A few things:

1. What could cause an egg to do this while not killing the chick? I figured bacteria would have poisoned the chick a long time ago.
2. Is this a normal enough occurrence that I should perhaps candle an egg that "explodes" at this late stage?
3. Could this be the consequences of one of my overly curious children pressing down on the flimsy lid? I get denials from my kiddos.

I have to agree with "sourland"....I understand that kids are VERY excited BUT they should not be near the incubator where they can touch it.....espeically if they can have access to it while not suprvised. We (2 adutls) are so so careful as all is so fragile! Good luck on the hatching, keep us posted. I am VERY new to this (on day 3 using incubator) so would love to know the outcome.

Back
Top Bottom