Egg fertility

AmandaBraddick

Chirping
Jun 20, 2020
IMG_20210127_113430.jpg

Can anyone tell me please if these eggs are fertile and had started to develop? Had checked previous eggs and i thought they were fertile (bullseye in yolk). So put these 5 in my incubator but at day 11 this is what they look like. Are the whites in the yolks signs of development that has stopped for some reason? Thanks.

Those eggs are not fertile. The 'spot' is the nucleus or germinal disc, but does not have the bullseye appearance of fertile eggs. The white stringy stuff is the chalaza. Has your rooster been mating the hens ? If they are overly fluffy birds, it may be necessary to pluck/trim around their vents.

Definitely not fertile. If they were incubated for 11 days there should be a very obvious embryo growing.
I know the frustration of waiting on eggs to be fertile. I experienced it last year waiting for my guinea eggs to be ready for the incubator.

Here is what you are looking to see in a none incubated, cracked open fertile egg.
Guinea egg.
E7139102-2DE4-4039-9899-96038110A3CD.png

Fertile chicken egg.
3DC57D19-EFF7-4B3C-BF0B-99EB61266EAA.jpeg

These next two are NOT fertile.
4C445BB7-8E56-4AA3-A6AC-D67F7C99799A.jpeg
C8A13CB2-4371-4E4B-8B30-3EF521EAB961.png

You can clearly see the white dote on both eggs, and what looks like a darker yellow/orange ring around the white dote. But they are not fertile.

Definitely not fertile. If they were incubated for 11 days there should be a very obvious embryo growing.
I know the frustration of waiting on eggs to be fertile. I experienced it last year waiting for my guinea eggs to be ready for the incubator.

Here is what you are looking to see in a none incubated, cracked open fertile egg.
Guinea egg.
View attachment 2504655
Fertile chicken egg. View attachment 2504658
These next two are NOT fertile.
View attachment 2504656View attachment 2504657
You can clearly see the white dote on both eggs, and what looks like a darker yellow/orange ring around the white dote. But they are not fertile.
IMG_20210129_125929.jpg

Thanks for your help. So is this egg fertile?

Those eggs are not fertile. The 'spot' is the nucleus or germinal disc, but does not have the bullseye appearance of fertile eggs. The white stringy stuff is the chalaza. Has your rooster been mating the hens ? If they are overly fluffy birds, it may be necessary to pluck/trim around their vents.
Thanks for your help. I have a silkie rooster mating with my silkies producing 100% fertile eggs. These eggs are from my Lavender Araucana hen previous eggs from her looked fertile although ive just cracked 4 open and 3 were fertile so maybe it was just bad luck. I'm assuming the attached is fertile?

Attachments

• IMG_20210129_125929.jpg
    IMG_20210129_125929.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 4
You’re welcome:) And yes, it is fertile 😊
Thank you. I think it might have just been bad luck then. Just cracked four eggs and three looked fertile. It's a shame coz it was an experiment. The eggs are from my Lavender Araucana and i haven't seen my silkie rooster mate her once. I do have a massive buff Orpington which i thought was a hen try and mate her though.. Hence the experiment! Thanks again

Thank you. I think it might have just been bad luck then. Just cracked four eggs and three looked fertile. It's a shame coz it was an experiment. The eggs are from my Lavender Araucana and i haven't seen my silkie rooster mate her once. I do have a massive buff Orpington which i thought was a hen try and mate her though.. Hence the experiment! Thanks again
Will you be collecting some eggs to hatch now that you are seeing a good number of fertile eggs?

Back
Top Bottom