1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg fertility

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tigridia, Nov 23, 2009.

1. tigridia

tigridia New Egg

Nov 23, 2009
    Hi there. I have a query. Our rooster died 20 days ago. A bantam has just gone clucky. We would like to raise more eggs. The big question is: For how long do hens lay fertile eggs after the rooster has done his work?

This is a great site! We just discovered it. Thanks for creating it.

Cheers, Tigridia, New Zealand. Araucanas, grey silkies, a ranger or 2, and barred rocks.

2. vkp23

vkp23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    My house
    I'm still pretty new at all the chicken stuff myself but I heard that the eggs will sill be fertile for a week or so after the roo is gone. AND [​IMG]

3. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    Eggs can be fertile for up to 3 weeks... try some and see how it goes!

4. tigridia

tigridia New Egg

Nov 23, 2009
    Thanks for the replies. We shall do as you suggest, and give it a go.

Another query: Is it true if a clutch of fertile eggs is sent by air they cannot be hatched afterwards?
    Something about the changes in air pressure in a plane. . .

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've had eggs sent from Georgia, Michigan and Texas to here in Arizona and I got eggs to hatch from each of those shipments.

Good luck with your clucky, broody hen.

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Quote:You want to know how long the hens continue to LAY eggs that are fertile and still viable for hatching, after the rooster is gone? I would like to know that myself. I just got rid of four cross breed roosters so that my hens will only have my two pure breed roosters to mate with. I'm wondering when will the "influence" of the cross breed roosters be out of the hens "systems" and when will the pure breed roosters take over? I want to set some eggs in my incubator, but I want to be sure that they were fertilized by my full-blood roosters. I don't know how long I should wait after the old rooster are gone before I have "pure" eggs again?

I know that eggs up to ten days old are viable for hatching. I have hens lay eggs and no one set them for a very long time and hatch, I've also had eggs shipped long distances and hatch, but what you're asking is how many fertile eggs does a hen lay after her last rendezvous with the rooster! I would love to know too! Sorry I'm not more help.. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    Quote:As many as she can lay - for up to 3 weeks after the rooster has done his job.
    If you are separating breeding pairs, best to wait 4 weeks to be sure that the "new" rooster is the one fertilizing the eggs.
    My SLW rooster was killed in April, but I incubated some eggs in May and, turns out, he was the daddy. So... yes, eggs can be fertile for up to 3 weeks after rooster exposure.

9. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Quote:As many as she can lay - for up to 3 weeks after the rooster has done his job.
    If you are separating breeding pairs, best to wait 4 weeks to be sure that the "new" rooster is the one fertilizing the eggs.
    My SLW rooster was killed in April, but I incubated some eggs in May and, turns out, he was the daddy. So... yes, eggs can be fertile for up to 3 weeks after rooster exposure.

Cool. I did some research and found very little info on the subject, but what I did find said three weeks as well. I'll wait at least four weeks before I set any of the girls eggs.

10. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois

What about ducks? I've heard one person say pretty much the same about ducks, but am wondering what individual experiences have been.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by