Egg (for eating) price?

So... with what you're charging, do you provide the cartons, or ask them to provide their own? I think I'm settling on the $3.00 to $3.50 range. Right now we're still trying to recover the costs from initial set up (the Taj MaHen coop my dh built), and cost of feed, etc. I love the idea of giving to a food pantry. I've had in mind letting my daughters use the proceeds to donate to a charity of their choice, like our local animal rescue. And I'm thinking of adding another dozen hens next year. This is ridiculously addictive!
tongue.png

I sell mine for $3.50 (mostly large size)
Peewee eggs I sell for $2.50 (little starter eggs from young pullets)

Phone around to feed stores to see if they have free egg cartons. One of my local ones does give away used cartons.
A wee post-it note taped to the lid of the egg carton thanking folks for returning the cartons may work.

We started selling our "extras" at $2/dozen but we had a lot of people not returning cartons as quickly as we needed them to fill the next one. So we bought a box of misprinted cartons for fairly cheap and raised the price to $3/dozen. Except for my one co-worker who is able to get me prescription dog food for $25/30lb bag because she is a vet student (a hell of a deal considering that it costs about $60 for the same bag and that's with an employee discount at work), she can have all the eggs she wants for free as long as the girls are laying. And my mom and MIL get free eggs too. Otherwise, we start a waiting list and sell to co-workers. Between Craigslist and the local farmer's market, $2-5/dozen seems to be the going rate for eggs around here.

From personal experience I can attest to the location theory. I bought my eggs in CA from a local lady for $4/doz. Here in S.C. I am lucky to get $2 as a seller. Maybe part of it is that more people here already have their own layers.
----Priscilla

3.50 a dozen for the extra large to jumbo eggs by birds lay. Right up the street there is a place that gets 4.50 for the organic eggs their birds lay, even though I have twice now told them where to buy organic pellets at about the same price as non organic.

Last edited:
Location is indeed a factor with our pricing and here in my area 2.50 a dozen with trade in carton or 2.75 a dozen without carton to trade.

They run around 3.00 to 4.00 a dozen for free range eggs at the stores and regular eggs at the store are commonly 99 cents a dozen....

Still we make feed costs and see a small profit monthly from 40 hens...

Back
Top Bottom