1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg fu young

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Noobiechickluv, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Noobiechickluv

Noobiechickluv Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    Mayberry NC
    I've heard people ask what to do with stir-fry leftovers.... and I bet a lot of folks here enjoy egg recipes, so I thought I would post one of our favorites.

For each egg fu young pattie you will need 2 eggs and a handful of leftover stir-fry. Just put a little oil in a small pan and let it get good and hot. scramble your eggs and put in your veggies. Cook til it gets a little brown around the edges. Flip. Done.

What really makes it yummy is the sauce you top it with. Take about a cup of chicken or beef broth (sometimes I just use water and a cube of bullion). Dissolve about 2 tbl of cornstarch put it in a pan on medium. Add soysauce to taste and a PINCH of sugar. If you have some sesame oil add a tsp, optional. Stir until it thickens.

We like it with some chopped green onions or chives on top, and a little sprinkle of sesame seeds. Serve with rice

I worked in a Chinese restaurant years ago and learned this. It's one of mine & my husband's favorites

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    This is one of my favorites, too. Of course, it can be varied a great deal. I particularly like some roughly chopped fresh mung bean sprouts in the mix. If I don't have leftover stir fry around, I just chop a bit of fresh onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, leftover chicken or pork -- whatever is around. It's a great "use it up" recipe, and of course a great way to use eggs.

I've seen it served with gravy, but I really prefer a sauce such as you describe. I would have given the same recipe [​IMG]

3. Noobiechickluv

Noobiechickluv Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    Mayberry NC
    Yes, mung bean sprouts, yum! I agree, the variations are endless, and it's so easy. It just seems to be a very overlooked egg recipe.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've never even thought about making egg foo young! My honey likes it occasionally at a restaurant, and I can sure see the appeal of using up leftovers. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by