Egg gender selection survey

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lazy gardener, Feb 29, 2016.

1. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    1. How many eggs to choose from for this incubation? 7

2. How many eggs set based on "female profile"? None, all 7 were torpedo shaped..so allegedly 'male profile'(?)

3. How many eggs survived to day 18? 7

4. How many chicks hatched? 7 but 1 died after broody mama stood on it(I think).

5. Percentage of pullets in this hatch? 3 out of 6 survivors were pullets, determined at 3-4 months.

6. Hatch date? 2-7-15

7. Comments: I added some comments above. This data might not count as I wasn't choosing for female shaped eggs, but happened to have torpedo eggs under a broody and someone was saying they would all be males because of egg shape. The fact that one died before gender could be determined could have skewed things, but evenly either way and not by much.

2. rottlady

rottlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    Georges Mills, NH
    I just put 30 eggs in this week. I put a divider down the middle thinking I could put boy measured eggs one side and girl the other. That worked ok for the Barnevelder eggs. I have 6 that measure round or almost and 6 that don't. However the eggs that went in today.... 18 eggs. 2 are for sure longer/thinner, 2 are for sure round and the rest are totally ambiguious. they fit neither category, and are at least 1/4-1/2" different in the two measurements

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    When I choose eggs for the "gender set", I like to start with a big pile of eggs. I then sort them by trying to figure out who laid what. For example, I have 2 RCBL who lay white eggs, one of these gals lays a larger, more rounded egg. I take ALL of her eggs, and set them into a group, choosing the 1 - 2 eggs out of 6 that are "roundest" I do this with all of the eggs that I can make an educated guess as to who laid them. For the rest, I may end up choosing only 20% of them for the "female" set.

Aart, your data does count. Even data from non selected eggs counts as a control. I don't know if or when I'll get a chance to sift through all of this info. But hope to get it done sometime this season.

1 person likes this.
  4. KirstieJG

KirstieJG Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2015
    1. How many eggs to choose from for this incubation? 18

2. How many eggs set based on "female profile"? 8

3. How many eggs survived to day 18? 8

4. How many chicks hatched? 8

5. Percentage of pullets in this hatch? 6

6. Hatch date? 31 mar

7. Comments: I was seperating the roundest eggs from one hen over a three week period. I took the roundest only but all her eggs are pretty round anyway and her last batch were majority female too. It may be that she lays more females.

5. wabbit1964

wabbit1964 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2013
    Maine
    My Coop
    Setting eggs this week. I want to try this! I hopefully will be back with data soon. [​IMG]

6. sonshine15

sonshine15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2015
    Awesome thread! Will be joining in a month or two:)[​IMG]

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Unfortunately, my last hatch, in 2 bators will not be appropriate for this survey. I had 30 of my own eggs, gender selected in a new home made bator. Didn't take time to iron out the kinks. Other bator had shipped eggs from 2 sources. In the busyness of a fencing project, and multiple assists due to temp/shipping issues, as well as my gender selected chicks playing a naughty trick on me, they all got mixed up. I put green laundry marker on my chicks to keep them "separate". But, it seems that they "licked" it off the first night! Only a couple of them retained their green marking!

Keep that data coming! When the hatching season winds down, I'll be asking for assistants to help tabulate statistics.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  8. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2015
    North Dakota
    This will be fun to see!!

9. slordaz

slordaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    1. How many eggs to choose from for this incubation? 42

2. How many eggs set based on "female profile"? 0

3. How many eggs survived to day 18? 38

4. How many chicks hatched? 2

5. Percentage of pullets in this hatch? will let ya know 1 may not make it

6. Hatch date?
    7. Comments: will update tomorrow as they should start hatching, eggs are barnyard mix. Roosters are BR and RIR, hens are leghorn, BO,BR,Amerecuana, Black Sexlink

Hatch Failed around lockdown

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  10. mzmolly65

mzmolly65 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2016
    Subscribing out of scientific curiosity. Wondering about testing this concept on duck eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by