Egg hatching but has purple veins???

It looks like he had pipped through a vein. It's pretty incredible he's still alive. The way you went about assisting isn't really how it should be done. (Please don't take that the wrong way, it's easy to misinterpret things over the internet)
How you would usually do it, is open first just the air cell, like this. Sorry for the bad pic quality, but you get the idea.
20200705_141823.jpg

Put coconut oil on the inner membrane so it becomes transparent, and then watch and wait.
Once all of the veins have receded and there's no more yawning, chip away a bit more shell and ease the baby out.
20200705_143345.jpg
How is your duckling now? Is he still yawning?

It looks like he had pipped through a vein. It's pretty incredible he's still alive. The way you went about assisting isn't really how it should be done. (Please don't take that the wrong way, it's easy to misinterpret things over the internet)
How you would usually do it, is open first just the air cell, like this. Sorry for the bad pic quality, but you get the idea.View attachment 2290990
Put coconut oil on the inner membrane so it becomes transparent, and then watch and wait.
Once all of the veins have receded and there's no more yawning, chip away a bit more shell and ease the baby out. View attachment 2290989How is your duckling now? Is he still yawning?
Oh I am not going to take it the wrong way. I actually appreciate the advice. These is my first time hatching them and I had someone send me an article that is on here how to help them IF they need help and to know what to look for. Someone sent me that for my quails and it said it was for all so i know a little bit. I see where i had missed up on and thank you for telling me. Also my duck is doing fine. I found him in the incubator out of its shell. It is now with the other duckling.

Attachments

• 20200815_012646.jpg
    20200815_012646.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200815_012745.jpg
    20200815_012745.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200815_012721.jpg
    20200815_012721.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200815_012707.jpg
    20200815_012707.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200815_012649.jpg
    20200815_012649.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 3
Oh I am not going to take it the wrong way. I actually appreciate the advice. These is my first time hatching them and I had someone send me an article that is on here how to help them IF they need help and to know what to look for. Someone sent me that for my quails and it said it was for all so i know a little bit. I see where i had missed up on and thank you for telling me. Also my duck is doing fine. I found him in the incubator out of its shell. It is now with the other duckling.
Awesome!!! :celebrate
Congrats! He's adorable. Thanks for sharing pics!!!

One more thing :oops:
Red Cedar shavings (as it looks like you have in your brooder) are really bad for birds. They can cause respiratory issues because they have such a strong smell, and they can leak toxic oils onto their feet.
A towel or puppy pads are a better bedding for ducklings for the first few days.

Awesome!!! :celebrate
Congrats! He's adorable. Thanks for sharing pics!!!

One more thing :oops:
Red Cedar shavings (as it looks like you have in your brooder) are really bad for birds. They can cause respiratory issues because they have such a strong smell, and they can leak toxic oils onto their feet.
A towel or puppy pads are a better bedding for ducklings for the first few days.
Ok I'll change it then.

I'm a big puppy pee pads can as it's much easier to keep clean. If you have Costco, 15$ for a hundred.
How long do they last you for? I am currently doing large pine shavings over a beach towel in the bathtub and it' basically 1 full changeout every morning & multiple "spot cleans" through the day.

How long do they last you for? I am currently doing large pine shavings over a beach towel in the bathtub and it' basically 1 full changeout every morning & multiple "spot cleans" through the day.
How old are your ducks? That sounds disgusting :sick:gig
I change the pad morning and then again in the evening. What are you using for water? If they can get their faces in it, the brooder will get nasty fast.
Also, sweet pdz is a life changer. I use it on everything. If you can find some, try it. Standlee sells the sam thing too, but it's called horse stall refresher. Works wonders for any odor.

Back
Top Bottom