Egg Hormones?

ChickenNewbie01

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 14, 2013
Saint John, NB
So, not to sure where to post this. But this seemed like an okay spot.

So I have a bunch of hens. And a banty rooster. And I've been eating their eggs, and also been feeding them to my 9 month old.

But yesterday my dad said something about there being hormones in the eggs? Because they are fertilized. He said I should check out if the baby can eat them, I just assumed since I could she could. I googled it and there wasnt really anything on the subject.

What do you think? Do you feed your kids fertilized eggs? Should I stop?
idunno.gif

So, not to sure where to post this. But this seemed like an okay spot.

So I have a bunch of hens. And a banty rooster. And I've been eating their eggs, and also been feeding them to my 9 month old.

But yesterday my dad said something about there being hormones in the eggs? Because they are fertilized. He said I should check out if the baby can eat them, I just assumed since I could she could. I googled it and there wasnt really anything on the subject.

What do you think? Do you feed your kids fertilized eggs? Should I stop?
idunno.gif

There probably isnt anything on google because no one ever seriously thought it was a problem.
I would feed my kids homegrown eggs, rooster or not. No I would not stop feeding eggs for this reason.

Everything I have read, indicates that fertilized eggs are nutritionally the same as unfertilized eggs.

When the media refers to hormones in animal products, they are usually referring to synthetic growth hormones I think. (Which by the way is not allowed in chicken feed in the USA anyhow).

If there are any amounts of natural hormones in eggs, it seems like they would be present in unfertilized eggs as well.

Children the world over have been eating fertile eggs for hundreds and hundreds of years. I'd be way more concerned with soy, personally.

if your concerned about that you should be worried about giving you child any milk either from a cow, or a goat because they both have to give birth to be able to lactate so a person can milk them for human consumption and therefore their hormones would be off because we are fooling the animal's body to keep nursing causeing higher hormone levels.... Kinda like fooling around with breeding chickens for laying eggs everyday (or nearly every day) or becoming meat birds, or caponizeing roosters, cutting a bull or boar to make them put on more meat, you are fooling with their natural hormone levels. Also even heirloom plants have been geneticly modified, so if you take it far enough you wouldn't be able to eat drink or even breath without fear of dieing as a result of doing any of those things....

Soy actually does have hormone problems associated with it. When I have read on this board that soy is in chicken feed it makes me want different chicken feed for mine. :)

EVERYTHING you eat has hormones in it. Everything. Living organisms, both plant and animal, must have hormones in order to live. If you want hormone free food you are going to have to learn to survive on minerals and distilled water.

Thanks for the opinions everyone. It wasnt that I was afraid of hormones per say, just wasnt sure. I haven't stopped giving her fertile eggs either, shes going to get the one day or another, so might as well start now.

Back
Top Bottom