Egg in vinegar

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Darklingstorm, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    Ever try the raw egg, still in shell, soaking in vinegar? It is so cool. You take an egg and put it in a sealed jar full of white vinegar, then sit back and watch. It is supposed to dissolve the shell and leave the inside of the egg intact. The vinegar won't dissolve the membrane inside so the egg is supposed to just like an egg but without a shell.

I'm on day 2 and the vinegar is diffidently eating away at the shell. My 2 year old son thinks it is just amazing. In just the couple of hours, the egg was turning all over the place and has now floated to the top. You can see patches of very thin spot in the egg.

If you have kids, you got to try this.

2. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG] I will definately try that (have a 5 and 6 year old), it will be a great cheap experiment, I knew about this long ago, but hadn't thought about it in a while. Thanks

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You can turn it into a osmosis teaching experience too!

4. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Ooh, my five year old would love this. I've never heard of this experiment but now I'm off to research making a lesson out of it!

5. Cakela

Cakela Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Southern New Hampshire
    We did this in second grade, and it does leave the membrane intact.

You can pick it up and everything, just don't poke it, LOL!

It's very, very cool.

6. AznChick21

AznChick21 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    When I was in high school and taking physiology, we did this experiment when we were learning about the cells and about how isotonic, hypertonic, and hypotonic solutions affects the cell. We used eggs because it was like a very large cell

7. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Ughhh.....I think I would just GAG!!!! I HATE the smell of vinegar! Don't know why, just always have....sounds like too much fun but I have a HARD time putting 1tsp of Apple Cider Vinegar in the chickens waterer! LOL! I have to hold my breath when I do it!

8. laurabonitahopkins

laurabonitahopkins Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    Oh, thanks for this great suggestion! I'm going to try it with my kids too!

9. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:what does putting viniger in the water do???

10. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I did it when I was little - the egg actually went kinda of rubbery. I think the vinegar does more than just dissolve the shell - as another poster pointed out, it's an osmosis project. I'm guessing the vinegar (preservative) soaks into the cells of the egg too? Any science 'eggheads' ([​IMG]) out there who can solve this one?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by