Egg issues

amanda1

Songster
6 Years
Aug 5, 2015
I am having issues with weak-shelled eggs. My hens eat a layer feed, and free range at least 1-4 hours per day. I have also been adding crushed egg shells as well as crushed oyster shells to their diet. Two of my hens are always laying weak shelled eggs. The others are fine. It seems by adding the additional calcium to their diet, it has created deposits on one of my hen’s eggs. Here’s a photo of the two different weak shelled eggs I’m getting. I’ve researched all the info I could find about eggs, and am coming up with no solutions.

Are your hens in the beginning of or nearing the end of a laying cycle ? Soft shelled eggs are not uncommon during these times.

I am not sure why this didn’t come through before. I’m in Eastern, PA. The birds with egg issues are both Black Austrolorpe, the one with the calcium deposits are from a 4 year old, the other a 3 year old.

I don’t know what you mean by “laying cycle”. They all molted last winter and didn’t start laying again until late March of this year.

FF245319-9BD3-492E-A7D7-6A317EB9938A.jpeg

I am having issues with weak-shelled eggs. My hens eat a layer feed, and free range at least 1-4 hours per day. I have also been adding crushed egg shells as well as crushed oyster shells to their diet. Two of my hens are always laying weak shelled eggs. The others are fine. It seems by adding the additional calcium to their diet, it has created deposits on one of my hen’s eggs. Here’s a photo of the two different weak shelled eggs I’m getting. I’ve researched all the info I could find about eggs, and am coming up with no solutions.

Your hens have always laid weak shelled eggs and how long would that be? How long have you been feeding them the extra calcium?

Your hens have always laid weak shelled eggs and how long would that be? How long have you been feeding them the extra calcium?
No, they haven’t always. It just started about six months ago. The one without the calcium deposits feels rough and chalky. That is what that particular hen has been laying for the last six months or so. They are weak,and really rough. Not smooth like the others.

If you are mixing the eggshells and oyster shell into their feed, I would stop doing it that way and instead give it separately in another feeder. Have it available all the time, free choice so they can take what they need. Needs can vary depending on the age of the bird, how often they lay, time of year, etc. Allowing them to take it free choice may stop the deposits as that hen may need a bit less. Some of my older birds will start getting thinner shells with no apparent health problems. 'Laying cycle' refers to the changing seasons and the effects on their laying. Young birds are more apt to lay year round (can also depend on breed) and as they get older they will often slow or stop during the winter months when the hours of daylight are reduced. Then in the spring as the days get longer they will begin to lay again, or frequency will increase. The 'time off' many times will get longer with age. It's natures way of giving their body a bit of a rest. The only way to prevent that is with supplemental light, which will encourage them to keep laying year round, but will also likely shorten their lives. So during those times when they are going into or out of lay, glitches can happen.

If you are mixing the eggshells and oyster shell into their feed, I would stop doing it that way and instead give it separately in another feeder. Have it available all the time, free choice so they can take what they need. Needs can vary depending on the age of the bird, how often they lay, time of year, etc. Allowing them to take it free choice may stop the deposits as that hen may need a bit less. Some of my older birds will start getting thinner shells with no apparent health problems. 'Laying cycle' refers to the changing seasons and the effects on their laying. Young birds are more apt to lay year round (can also depend on breed) and as they get older they will often slow or stop during the winter months when the hours of daylight are reduced. Then in the spring as the days get longer they will begin to lay again, or frequency will increase. The 'time off' many times will get longer with age. It's natures way of giving their body a bit of a rest. The only way to prevent that is with supplemental light, which will encourage them to keep laying year round, but will also likely shorten their lives. So during those times when they are going into or out of lay, glitches can happen.
Thank you! That was a very helpful explanation.

I have always had free choice oyster shell for them, but it appears they don’t touch it. Often I have to throw it away and put in fresh, that’s not coated with dust! That is why I tried offering it to them with feed, but in a separate bowl than their regular feed. I simply couldn’t find anything about the eggs that feel chalky, with weak shells. And, that hen is a year younger than the one laying with the deposits on her eggs. I guess that’s why sometimes people get rid of them after age three. Last year the whole flock went into molt, and I didn’t get any eggs for five months! And, some of those hens were one one year old!

If your hens don't like the oyster shell, this is what I do. I rinse and save all my egg shells. Dry them in the oven at 250F for several hours. Grind them in a food processor and I mix them 50/50 with the oyster shell. They like it much better that way, and saves a few pennies, win-win.

Back
Top Bottom