Egg Journal Question

new2chickens

Songster
11 Years
Mar 2, 2008
Anyone keep an egg journal? My girls aren't old enough to lay yet, but I do have 2 laying hens (they lay almost identical eggs!!) I would like to have a record of who laid each day and what each hens eggs look like (color, shape, size, etc)

Anyone have advice or a good template they are willing to share??

Thanks in advance
Sarah

I use a calendar with a page for each month and a line for each day. I only have 2 hens so it is easy to write down an abreviated name for the egg layer on any particular day. One hen lays brown eggs with good quality shells, and the other's eggs are now white with rough shells so it is easy to tell who's are who's. I got 23 eggs in January and 28 in February. 25 so far this month.
The hen laying the poor quality eggs has laid all through the winter and is probably worn out, poor little soul. Her eggs used to be brown, but gradually faded. The other started laying towards the end of Feb.

I just searched the web for a blank calender template, and printed it out. When I remember I write down how many eggs of each breed I get per day. I just thought it would be interesting at the end of the year to look back and see if their are any patterns. Problem is, I keep forgetting to write in it.

I went ahead and made a quick spreadsheet for March and printed it. I plan to hang it on the fridge and mark it when I put the eggs in the fridge....hopefully that will help me remember to mark it.

Back
Top Bottom