egg layed but covered with membrane! is she OK!!

easton coop

Songster
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
Winchester UK
48410_p4277270.jpg

we have 4 hens which have been with us for 2 weeks now. 1 hen has laid everyday and just now the smallest hen laid an egg in the run and not in the nest box or coop. However it was covered in a membrane and some blood is present in the run and on the egg. The hen is quiet and a little dazed. The other hens ate the membrane (like they would). The vent is clean and no blood is coming from her. It is usual for this to happen? I'm thinking it may be her 1st egg as she is about 5 months old! i could really do with some reassurance on this one as i'm a bit worried!

Shes very quiet! I have shut her in the coop to give her some rest from the others. Her back is still arched. I haven't yet trained them to come to me or picked them up, so i don't want to put her under any more stress. But i do want her to be ok and comfortable. Has anyone had this before, i could really do with some help!
sad.png

All sorts of odd things happen with first eggs. Unless she shows any further signs of problem, I would think she will be fine. Just keep an eye on her. She should resume normal eating and so on soon. (Probably just smarts a little, and not sure what just happened.)

I think laying her 1st egg may have come of a surprise to her! hopefully she's just a little shaken. Unfortunately i have to go out soon and wont be back till 11pm (bat surveys) but i will get my partner to keep an eye on her.

Back
Top Bottom