Egg Layer recommendations needed

mark9199

In the Brooder
6 Years
My coop is about completed and I'm planning on getting 3 egg layers very soon. I'm in southeast Texas and it's a hot climate. What would be your top three common breeds if your priorities were egg production and heat tolerance followed by personality. Egg color is not really a priority.

All responses are greatly appreciated!

Mark

My best layers have been rhode island reds(big brown eggs), black stars(medium/large brown eggs), buff orpingtons(medium/large brown eggs), and easter eggers(big green, blue, pinkish eggs). I recently got some ancona chicks because their supposed to lay large white eggs very well and I think that they'd be good in warmer areas because of their lighter body (as opposed to the heavier breeds like the brahmas and others that are heavily feathered). That's based only of what I've researched about them of course since I haven't had any mature birds of these yet. Maybe leghorns too for the same reason? There's a few good breed charts on the web you could look at to find a breed that lays good and can handle the heat! I think one is called Hendersons breed chart?? I might have the name wrong but if you google breed charts I'm sure you'll find some that are helpful! Good luck with your choices! You should let us know what you decide to go with!

There's a few good breed charts on the web you could look at to find a breed that lays good and can handle the heat! I think one is called Hendersons breed chart??
I found the chart, thanks! It is helpful.

All of your responses have helped, thank you!

After searching this site, and Googling around, my short list (in order of favorites):

Australorp
RI Red
Red Sex Link
Buff Orpington
Plymouth Rock
Ameraucana

I have a farm near by that carries these but not sure what's available now. We're going there Saturday to have a look. I will report back when we get them. They also carry Iowa Blue, Red Speckled Sussex, Silver Laced Wyandottes, and Brahma. From research I eliminated them from my list but am open to any other inputs or arguments on my choices. That's why I'm asking
smile.png

Thanks to all of you for your help.

Mark

I found the chart, thanks! It is helpful.

All of your responses have helped, thank you!

After searching this site, and Googling around, my short list (in order of favorites):

Australorp
RI Red
Red Sex Link
Buff Orpington
Plymouth Rock
Ameraucana

I have a farm near by that carries these but not sure what's available now. We're going there Saturday to have a look. I will report back when we get them. They also carry Iowa Blue, Red Speckled Sussex, Silver Laced Wyandottes, and Brahma. From research I eliminated them from my list but am open to any other inputs or arguments on my choices. That's why I'm asking
smile.png

Thanks to all of you for your help.

Mark

Hey Mark, You should check out the Texas Thread in the 'where am i/where are u' section of the forums. there are quite a few of us around the houston area that im sure wouldnt mind helping you out.

You can not go wrong with the black australorps, had some myself till the dogs got to them...Barred rocks are also excellent! come check us out, or shoot me a PM if you have any questions! welcome to BYC!

My red sex-link laid daily through our 104 degree heat wave of last year. I had a fan on them and gave them plenty of water but she did just fine. My black sex-links aren't the layers the red is. They're bigger birds, too, and they didn't handle the heat as well. Maybe it's just the type I got but I prefer the red for laying.

That being said - it's my understanding that red and black sex-links don't lay as long as other breeds and that they "burn out" in about 2 years. I wasn't aware of that when I got mine so I'm adding other breeds this year in anticipation of them slowing down in about a year.

Hey Mark, You should check out the Texas Thread in the 'where am i/where are u' section of the forums. there are quite a few of us around the houston area that im sure wouldnt mind helping you out.

You can not go wrong with the black australorps, had some myself till the dogs got to them...Barred rocks are also excellent! come check us out, or shoot me a PM if you have any questions! welcome to BYC!

Thanks for the tip. I was wondering if there might be a better location for this. I just posted where you suggested. Thank you!

We've had great luck with our Red Sex-Links.
These are hands down the most productive brown egg layers you can get. They will put any other non-white egg layer to shame by comparison.

You could also get some White Leghorns for large amounts of white eggs but they aren't nearly as friendly as the Red sex links.

Back
Top Bottom