1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egg layers

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duck confused, Nov 15, 2015.

1. duck confused

duck confused New Egg

Nov 15, 2015
    which ducks are the best egg layers

2. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    My ducks haven't started laying yet but I've heard that Khaki Campbells and Welsh Harlequins are super good layers.

Welcome to BYC!

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
  4. spiritbrook

spiritbrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Southern Oregon Coast
    My first flock 30 years ago were Khaki Campbells developed by a fellow named Holderread near Philomath Oregon. That fellow has since gone on to heirloom breeds. His stock produced about 360 eggs a year per hen, regularly. They got quite a few rewards. My flock at that time was 6 hens, once they started I rarely had a day go by without at least 5 eggs. These were ducks being used for limited retriever training and herding. Knowing now what I didn't then I would have been surprised that we had eggs at all.

My current Khakis are "mutt Khakis" from the bulk hatchery the feed store uses - one called Whelp. They aren't as pretty as those purebreds I had years ago, but I love them them even more. On 11/10/15 I found my first egg, that is about 21 - 22 weeks old for the girls. Since I have not witnessed the actual giving, I don't know which of my girls is the producer of my "duck rounds". They are a little small (would be called 'medium' at today's standards) and I have to wash them. Since she is laying in the same spot I will gradually add bedding and move a few things and hopefully they will stay cleaner. My first flock were inside of a chicken coop and the eggs stayed nicer. This bunch I'm letting free range and simply be ducks, so I'm trying to make a compromise with them to keep the eggs clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by