Egg layers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by VannahRAe, Mar 10, 2012.

1. VannahRAe

VannahRAe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2012
    Hohenwald, TN
    What breeds do you own and how many eggs do they produce? How old were they before they started producing? I'm getting my chicks in a couple weeks from Tractor Supply and just wanted to know which breed to look for as I want to raise the chicks and then hatch the eggs . I'm also converting my old unused barn into a chicken coop.

Thanks to anyone who answers:)

2. ericsplls

ericsplls Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    My dominiques started laying at 10 months. That's late but I didn't run any lights this winter. They are currently laying about five eggs per week each. My BCM layed between six and seven per week from about the time they were six months old until winter. Then they pretty much stopped until spring and have since layed about five per week but seasonal. They quit in winter and during the hottest part of the summer. I have had RIR and BR from TSC. They started laying at four months but not reliably until five and a half months. They then layed between six and seven per week until winter then about three per week. Picked back up to six per week during the next spring, four per week during summer heat and back down to three per week that winter. Stayed about that and then dropped off about an egg per week per year. For the most part hatchery produced birds lay well at an early age. Their bantams lay just ok but as good or better than most.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by