Egg Laying a Spectator Sport

For-The-Love-Of-Chickens

Songster
10 Years
Apr 8, 2009
Washington State
From about 8 am to noon you will not see any of our 9 chickens outside in the run. Our roosts sit right across the coop from the nesting boxes, and while the girls take their turn in the box to lay, the rest of the chickens sit/stand on the roosts watching the proceedings. When the hen is done, she hops out of the nest box, stops by the water, and hops up on the roost to watch everyone else. Everyone then joins in the egg song. Eventually, they all make their way out to dust bathe, so someone must say everyone is finished for the day!

Our roo will also pace the floor of the coop in front of the nest box if someone is taking too long. I have seen him pace, stop in front of the box, put his head in, cackle and buck to the hen who cackled back, and resume pacing. Too funny!!

Pretty funny to watch them!!! More entertaining than TV!!
gig.gif

It's great that you're appreciative of Chicken TV! That's what my DH calls it. I can spend HOURS in the run or standing outside a pen just watching their rituals and antics...

I often take my current book down to the run, set up a chair in the middle and sit and "read" for an hour or two as often as I can
I don't get much "reading" done actually but that is okay, I find it much better than my BP medicine and an easier "pill to swallow"

That is great!! You should video tape that!

My DBF doesn't understand why I can sit down there and watch my girls for ever. They are very entertaining!

Chicken watching, in my humble opinion, is far better than any of the junk they have on any of the television chanels these days. And, as an added bonus, it won't rot your brain and may even make you smarter than the average boobtuber!! At least that's my take on it!
big_smile.png

Yesterday evening found me out in the yard, cocktail in hand, watching my Light Brahma lay an egg in her nesting box! They ARE entertaining - and educational.

My DH and I leave our lawn chairs out there from spring through fall, just to spend evenings watching our girls dust bathe and inspect every inch of their run. We love them.

Same here - glass of wine and spend time with the "girls"! We have a Silver Lace (names Wilma or is it Betty) the stands on the perch in front of the nesting boxes and watches the other hens lay. When the hen lays, Wilma jumps down and starts singing. It's like "Egg Laying 101". We call it Farm TV with new episodes of Chicken TV every week.

I hear ya-I love watching chicken tv too! I can't believe how into these critters I am, they really are fascinating. I spend at least a couple hours a day with them and they're truly entertaining!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom