egg laying after a predator attack

gerryhouser

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 11, 2011
So we expected our flocks egg production to drop off after a bobcat got a third of our birds, we even expected to go several days without any eggs, but, it has been 9 days how and not a single egg. We are certain the cat has not been back since its last visit. We have done everything we know that the birds like, tilled the yard and put down fresh straw, cleaned out the coop, watering troth, and feeder, and put up new roosting polls. We even installed a light in the coop (we normally do this only during the winter). The birds behavior has returned to what is was prior to the big cat, but, still no eggs. We haven't even seen them in the nesting boxes.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

We now have an answer to my question "how long after a predator attack until our flock starts laying again". 2 and a half months. Almost gave up on them, but, they are all laying again.

A few good things did come out of this whole thing.
My dogs have made a few new marsupial buddies (I opened up the crawl space under the coop for the dogs).
My neighbor really likes his new coon skin hat. Near as I can tell the animal slipped off the top of the coop and broke his neck (new barn steal roof on the coop).
And best of all, we have big cats, or would that be 'nearly big' cats? That is so cool. I just need to keep that in mind while securing the flock. Maybe they are the reason we have not seen any coyotes in our neighborhood.

Think I'll have an omelet in the morning.

am so happy for you....a predator killed 25 pulletts here, had to move all flocks to one very large open (covered)pen and hen house large enough to house the 40 chickens I have left....was sick it also killed 9 ready to slaughter (next day ) roosters, went out to prepare for it and found the 9....the next day the rest were taken,..awful....we were without eggs too and the stress made them all go into a molt....they are just coming around, looking big fluffy fat contented again...better now that I have all in the same pen locked up at night...MY new stress is the 25 - 6 week Isa Brown pullets that are going into the "Killer Pen"...It no longer looks like it did, now has a fence inside the side fence facing the ditch (think that is where IT came from) cement poured on the bottom of the fence line all around so nothing can lift or go under...this is a A-frame open air house...made from a metal swing set - sides are cypress half way up the outside wall with a tin roof..the other side (inside coop area) is all metal....the "slide" is still in tac .. really cute set up...made an outside area fully covered with bird netting and metal fencing for them to free range a little later....just felt like sharing a little and hope all co
ntinues to go well for you..........what kind of cats do you have? Happy Thanksgiving and a blessed rest of the year to you and your family.....G

One of our girls was taken by a hawk about 3 weeks ago, and the rest have all recovered nicely. Except for one, who gets spooked by the slightest thing. Since the attack, her eggs have been torpedo shaped, and if there is a thunderstorm, she drops an egg off the roost. Silly girl. But I am glad yours have recovered.

The cats I were referring to in yesterdays post are bob cats. I don't mind a predator or two as long as I can keep the flock safe.

As for domestic cats we have a Main-Coon and a Russian Blue. They have free run of the chicken coop and run and compete with the chickens for what rodents or small snakes they can find.

A happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well.

Back
Top Bottom