Egg laying age

Mine tend to be around 23 weeks, but it varies quite a bit.
What breed are they?
Honestly, I'm not sure. I have 5 hens now. Ended up trading one of my roosters. One is a buff Orphington, blue laced red wyandotte, and two others look to have amuricana. (I know I spelled it wrong) and not sure what the last one is. Think she has some leghorn in her.

Honestly, I'm not sure. I have 5 hens now. Ended up trading one of my roosters. One is a buff Orphington, blue laced red wyandotte, and two others look to have amuricana. (I know I spelled it wrong) and not sure what the last one is. Think she has some leghorn in her.
I think all those except maybe the one with some leghorn, are on the slower to develop side. Most likely around 22 to 25 weeks.

I got 4 chicks hatched March 16, only one is laying -71/2 months old! Each different heritage breeds. I also have two barnyard mix pullets same age, that have been laying huge beautiful eggs for months.

My ISA Browns started between 17-19.5 weeks. My Olive Eggers that I believe are a Cream Legbar cross started within a few days of each other around 20 weeks. My other Olive Egger who looks different and is much larger started at 22 weeks (laid two soft shells that week, started laying solid eggs the next week). My EE waited until 23.5 weeks. My Welsummer is still not laying yet at approximately 23 weeks. I got her later than all the others. Feed store said she was 5 weeks when I got her but I suspect she was only 4 weeks. Her pelvic bones have spread to about 1.5 “fingers” wide so I suspect she will start within the next week or two, but days are getting shorter which might affect things.

Back
Top Bottom