Egg laying at 4am ! :/ ?

HugHess

Chickrack Addict
5 Years
Jul 14, 2014
Go BROWNS
I haven't slept a wink since last night and at 4am I heard my Roo crowing and thought why are you crowing in the middle of the night?
So, I went and checked on everybody and found my biggest egg yet!? Very, very warm to the touch!
BTW: They just began laying last week...
My question is.... night layers? Is this normal considering a week on the 'job'?
TIA.

Last edited:
Many pullets get it right with their first egg, it’s laid in daylight and in a nest. But the internal egg laying factory has a lot of parts and sometimes there is a glitch, especially when they first start to lay. A pullet may drop her first egg or first several eggs wherever she is, the coop floor, the run, even from the roosts. This can be day or night. There is nothing unusual about that. Those first few eggs may be kind of weird too. They may be yolk-less, have no whites, be double yolked, extra small or extra large, maybe irregular shaped, extra thick shell, very thin shelled, or even no shell. But normally the pullet gets things straightened out pretty quickly.

There is nothing surprising about what you said. That egg sounds likes it may even be a double yolker.

Back
Top Bottom