Egg laying behavior

Rommy

Songster
Apr 17, 2019
NC
Ok peeps; this chicken novice needs advice again. My Miss Tip has been laying for the past week. Eggs for 7 days in a row. I was outside with them this a.m. allowing them some free range time in the backyard. I noticed a little (just a brush) of poo on her hind feathers; not much at all. I went to clean the coop up a little and she came back in and was acting very antsy. She got up in the nesting box, out again, on top and then when I went out she got back in so I left her alone. She stayed down there for a little while and I heard a lot of shuffling around and she was making some noise kind of low clucking.... is this all normal behavior or what? HELP. Don't want her to be having problems I am unaware of; but don't want to be a "mother hen" if that makes sense..lol :eek:

It's normal, it's just her getting prepared to lay her egg. Some girls take a while to decide whether they're ready or not... in and out of a nest box, ooh maybe the one over there is better... no the first one was better.... maybe just here on the floor...
Chickens can be so weird :D

Hi folks! A 2nd hen started laying today; I'm thinking it is my other Maran b/c she has been acting a little antsy herself and very vocal when I am collecting the eggs. I found one in the box that Miss Tip has been laying in and I found another smaller and lighter brown egg on the floor. This one looks as if it was cked to see what it was b/c it had a little nick in it that Miss Tips 2nd egg had in it; my guess is it was being cked for "what is this?" lolol.... QUESTION: How do I encourage laying in the box and not in the sand floor? We have 3 nesting boxes so space is not an issue. Thanks! :D

Back
Top Bottom