Egg laying concern...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nettie, Jan 17, 2009.

1. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Since my duckies have started laying, Victor had laid an egg everyday since. Ming Mei has laid two then she stopped. I haven't had an egg from her in almost three days. Is this normal for ducks to start then stop? She's eating and pooping fine, but no eggs. I'm just wondering if she's okay...

2. satay

satay oz-e-chick 10 Years

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    My muscoveys lay whenever very irratically. There is no set pattern that I can tell with them. The khaki Campbells are better they are more consistant in their laying. What type do you have?

3. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Songster

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    Victor??? Nice name [​IMG]

My duck started laying a couple of weeks ago and i got like 4 eggs from her, one a day. And then she stopped, she started laying again after a few days. I guess thats just what ducks do. If i were you i wouldnt worry about it. She should start laying again.

4. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    yeah, victor was supposed to be a boy, but he turned out to be a girl... he doesn't know that yet. we don't want to hurt his feelings and tell him he's a girl. lol.

I have two runner ducks... Ming Mei still has not laid again yet

5. Shanay235

Shanay235 Songster

Sep 14, 2008
    WV
    I've been raising ducks for 7 years now and thats perfectly normal egg laying behavior. Don't worry, they'll start laying more regularly soon enough, right now they're just practicing.

6. mbrown

mbrown In the Brooder

Jul 17, 2008
    North Florida
    You might want to check real good for hiding places too. My ducks fooled me into thinking they had stopped laying for a few days, then I found that they had made their own new nest and were burying the eggs so I wouldn't take them! [​IMG]

7. streemers

streemers Songster 9 Years

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    i have to agree with them. my ducks start and stop and love to hide eggs. i have found them behind fire wood, under fallen tree branchs, behind there house and even in there pond. dont worry about it just make sure you look everywhere:)

8. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    well, my situation is probably a lot different than most people with ducks. My ducks spend a lot of their time inside in my sunroom/patio. They go outside in my very small yard each day, but it's only for a few hours until they get bored and demand to come back in. Because i live in a townhome that's in an urban area (right next to a fairly busy street) my ducks sleep in a special pen during the night in my art studio. (They have three pens, one in the sunroom/patio and two in my studio including a small one for sleeping and a bigger one for when i am not home.) So I collect their eggs from the sleep pen each morning. And i only got one egg each day for about a week....

Update: After almost a whole week of only one egg a day, i did find two this morning... both of which seem kinda big... maybe it just took her awhile to form that egg. lol... they are both still eating and pooping normal...

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I thought my ducks were spoiled! LOL

10. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    i figured out the problem after a huge ordeal today, i'm gonna write a new topic about it....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: