1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg laying has stopped

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Halftufish, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Halftufish

Halftufish New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    First off, Hello everyone I'm new here. Secondly, I have a small group of four hens, two Araucanas, and two Salmon Faverolles, one of which is being broody right now, so I knew she would stop laying. I recently modified the inside of the coop from one nesting box to a row of five and moved the roost a little, also I let them out to roam the yard for a few days when I was off, the group seems to have taken to the new roost and nest boxes but since then egg laying amongst the Araucanas seems to have pretty much stopped and they were good for an egg a day usually. Everyone looks healthy and this is their fisrt egg season,was that remodel enough stress to cause egg laying to stop, or the eating all the goodies in the yard, I'm at a loss?

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Hi, welcome to BYC! With chickens you never know. My aruacanas were pretty flighty, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the remodel. However, are you sure they aren't laying somewhere else?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by