Egg Laying Issue

kittyy924

Hatching
Aug 30, 2021
Central Florida
I recently started my chicken adventure, the end of May, when I bought 2 Rhode Island Reds (3 months old) and 2 Barred Rock (2 months old). My Red just started laying eggs 8/20; however between the two they have only produced 5 eggs in 10 days. Is this normal? Due to 2 eggs being the same oblong shape, I'm guessing 1 hen had the two oblong and the other hen the three normal looking eggs. They are on a normal pellet layer feed, scratch and the occasional fruit/greens treat. I also gave them the option of oyster shells and started letting them free range for a few hours about 2 weeks ago. Any advice on my hens? The other two haven't even started laying, is this late for some?

Most chickens don't lay every day especially at the beginning. and it is possible some aren't laying yet. We're the chickens 2 and 3 months old when you got them?
Yes, sorry. The Reds were three months when I got them, so 6 months now, and they have started laying. The Barred Rock, now 5 months, have not yet. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong to have one lay 2 eggs in 10 days and the other hen laying 3 eggs in 10 days.

How and how much scratch are you giving?
Layer feed is meant to be the sole ration.

Also time of year my be having an affect.

So...Welcome to BYC! @kittyy924
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1630409628695.png

I am located in central Florida. They eat an 18% layer pellet and rarely get scratch. They free range for multiple hours every day in the evening and most of the day on the weekends as we have horses and donkeys to help with predators so I do not give them much scratch.

Back
Top Bottom