Egg Laying "Issues" - any guesses?

Heni Penny

Songster
9 Years
Nov 14, 2014
Hello -

We have a flock of 15 hens and 1 rooster. No change in feed, typical summer weather, no nests to be found in the woods. We had all 5 Columbian Wyandottes go broody in the last month plus one easter egger. The easter egger sat and hatched 2 eggs. We broke the Columbians of broodiness but that was a long, difficult task, more intensive than usual - usually 1-2 days in the wire dog crate on the cement floor used to do it - not this time. Anyhow, now we are only averaging 5 eggs per day. I understand none of the Columbians will lay for a while due to having been broody, the hen who hatched the eggs won't lay for a while, but what's up with rest of them? Most of our easter/olive Eggers are laying regularly (5 easter/olive Eggers). Only 1 silver laced Wyandotte (unknown which) is laying (have 5). No supplemental light in the winter. MAYBE 1-2 birds are molting but most molted over the WINTER - goofy birds. We did battle coccidia early this spring.

They get Kent Extra Egg Layer Crumbles - 16.0% protein
Intermittently Free Range (aka if we are home they all go out - we are often home most of the day)
Night snack to put them back in the coop/run of scratch (generic mix)
Occasional dried meal worms or whatever weird dried snack the kids and I pick up from TSC
Coop is pretty solid - predator issues unlikely but anything is possible
Do have a new adult flock of guineas (8) in a separate coop/run learning their new home.
Do have 6 guineas ((1m/5 f)(the columbians and silver laced were all raised with the guineas from day 1 (all were chicks together)) who share the coop/run but the guineas always go out during the day (unless there's terrible weather)

Hello -

We have a flock of 15 hens and 1 rooster. No change in feed, typical summer weather, no nests to be found in the woods. We had all 5 Columbian Wyandottes go broody in the last month plus one easter egger. The easter egger sat and hatched 2 eggs. We broke the Columbians of broodiness but that was a long, difficult task, more intensive than usual - usually 1-2 days in the wire dog crate on the cement floor used to do it - not this time. Anyhow, now we are only averaging 5 eggs per day. I understand none of the Columbians will lay for a while due to having been broody, the hen who hatched the eggs won't lay for a while, but what's up with rest of them? Most of our easter/olive Eggers are laying regularly (5 easter/olive Eggers). Only 1 silver laced Wyandotte (unknown which) is laying (have 5). No supplemental light in the winter. MAYBE 1-2 birds are molting but most molted over the WINTER - goofy birds. We did battle coccidia early this spring.

They get Kent Extra Egg Layer Crumbles - 16.0% protein
Intermittently Free Range (aka if we are home they all go out - we are often home most of the day)
Night snack to put them back in the coop/run of scratch (generic mix)
Occasional dried meal worms or whatever weird dried snack the kids and I pick up from TSC
Coop is pretty solid - predator issues unlikely but anything is possible
Do have a new adult flock of guineas (8) in a separate coop/run learning their new home.
Do have 6 guineas ((1m/5 f)(the columbians and silver laced were all raised with the guineas from day 1 (all were chicks together)) who share the coop/run but the guineas always go out during the day (unless there's terrible weather)
Hi! The ventilation I have is strips of insulation board installed between slat roof board supports with polycarbonate sheets over top for a roof. I have little doors over holes with harware cloth for the air to circulate through vents. It stays cool in summer and warm in winter with a couple of radiant ceramic brooders. This gives lots of ventilation and you can add or remove the insulation strips. Try turning on the coop light. I don't use a lightbulb. I use a little LED lightbar you can get at Walmart. About $9. Turn it on in the day when you let them run and leave it on until they go to bed at night. Good luck with your mixed flock!

Back
Top Bottom