Egg laying locations!

Bulldog164

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 7, 2013
Devon, UK
Hi everyone, my first hen has started laying, she is the first of 9. Anyway, sometimes she lays in the nest box, sometimes on the floor of the coop and sometimes in the garden! Is there anything I can do to make/train her to always lay in the nest box?

Do you have nest or dummy eggs in the nest box? These may encourage the hens to utilize the nest boxes. Some people use golf balls in the nest boxes.

Golf balls have worked for me too. You can either buy a fake egg, or just use a golf ball, and you put it in the nesting box in a place that can be accessed by all the flock. Keep it in there for however long you need it. Until they start laying in it, or still after that, as long as you want it there.

Two of my hens have just started laying now, twice...they are Buff Orpington's, sweet little things. All three of the eggs layed so far have been outside on the ground. I put a golf ball in each of the three nesting boxes but my husband thinks I should take them out because he thinks it may confuse them. We are brand new at this, moved to Cedar City Utah from Huntington Beach California so we have no idea what we are doing. The good news is, I take really good care of my chickens and spoil them. I spend lots of time with them and they love me as much as I love them. I have 2 Buff Orpington's, 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Americana's and 1 Bronze Tom Turkey. We got all the chicks at 1 day old and the turkey at 1 day old when the chicks where 3 weeks old. He is very protective of his girls. I also am looking for any advise about getting the girls to lay in the nesting boxes. Thanks lots!!!

Back
Top Bottom