Egg laying/ nesting boxes

amidonal90

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2016
So my isa browns started laying small eggs almost a month ago but will not lay in thier nesting boxes. Is there any way to train them to do so? I have no idea where all my eggs are that they are laying. I found some under our house then a dozen under our porch but as soon as i gather them i get none.

lock them in the coop and run....Bad habit to get started...Forget about the fake eggs everyone talks about....Chickens never started in the wild with a fake egg...Wives Tale.
Lock them in till they see the nest boxes as a nest and the coop as home. Chickens are easy and very predictable.

So my isa browns started laying small eggs almost a month ago but will not lay in thier nesting boxes. Is there any way to train them to do so? I have no idea where all my eggs are that they are laying. I found some under our house then a dozen under our porch but as soon as i gather them i get none.
Yes, there is a way to train them, here's some suggestions for 'training' free range bird to lay in coop nests:

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Quote:
NOT a wives tale...a device widely used, often very successfully,
to entice bird to lay in coop nests (because we are not talking about birds in the wild).
Just because you don't care to use this technique, does not make it false.

NOT a wives tale...a device widely used, often very successfully,
to entice bird to lay in coop nests (because we are not talking about birds in the wild).
Just because you don't care to use this technique, does not make it false.
Not sure as to why you backlash all my input?
As I was taught, fake eggs are just that...fake eggs.
No need to get into a feather ruffle or comment about others posts BYC IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN.....Really do not care about your posts? I leave my info and move on...

Back
Top Bottom