Egg laying & New Home

chloeonz

Chirping
Feb 12, 2019
New Zealand
Hello again, just wondering roughly how long the stress of a new home for a hen that was already laying will ease so she starts laying again? I cant find much research online but saw one article briefly say laying should commence within a few days, so, it has been “days” and still nothing, has anyone got more experience in this?
I’m not concerned or wanting to hurry her up - buut I was told by the previous owner she was laying, so wondering if she was actually laying or not, especially if she should have laid by now.
She has enough room, multiple hidy holes to nest in, layer pellets plus cooked vege scraps and oats so shes very spolit. She is also feeling more comfortable around me and not showing signs of distress.
And another young hen that arrived as well has laid an egg today.

Thanks again

That is going to be an individual thing, no hard and fast rules.
A lot is going to depend on how inviting and comfortable their new surroundings are.
I was going to suggest that is could be due to being after summer solstice but I see you are in New Zealand so that means your days are probably about 45 minutes longer now than they were at your winter solstice. The increasing day length can only help.
I would check the space between the two pointy pelvic bones.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
How many days have they been there?

That is going to be an individual thing, no hard and fast rules.
A lot is going to depend on how inviting and comfortable their new surroundings are.
I was going to suggest that is could be due to being after summer solstice but I see you are in New Zealand so that means your days are probably about 45 minutes longer now than they were at your winter solstice. The increasing day length can only help.
I would check the space between the two pointy pelvic bones.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
How many days have they been there?

She has been with us for 5 days now.
Yes good spotting I’m in new zealand and days are beginninv to lighten and the warmth has actually continued through winter which is fantastic. Just starting to get chilly this week but now like previous winters.

days are beginninv to lighten and the warmth has actually continued through winter which is fantastic. Just starting to get chilly this week but now like previous winters.
Day length and air temps don't always coincide.
Your days have been lengthening since ~June 21...
....it just beginning to be apparent to most human eyes.

Give her time.

Back
Top Bottom