Egg laying or coop design/ poopie eggs!

bald Rooster

Songster
Oct 18, 2016
Orlando area
I have a coop with several different aged hens, Some group is always molting. I am guessing close to 100 hens.
I added 50 young birds to the coop a little early (they were not laying yet)because I had no were else to put them.
They are laying now but mostly pullet eggs. A few are still roosting on the ground. most of the young ones are are roosting on the walks and ladder to the nesting boxes.
I have several problems. a couple roost in nesting boxes. Some poop on the out side edge or the nesting boxes, But all of my eggs seem to have some poop on them.I have cleaned the boxes and it helps. But still some poop!

You have 150 in a coop ... What is the dimensions of your coop & run? What are you using for flooring material? Picture of your set up ...

The "basic" minimum is 4sq ft per chicken in a coop & 10sq ft per in a run ... BIGGER is always better. Sounds like you need more roost space, I would say block off the nest boxes at night so they can't roost in them, more flooring material for cleaner feet.

You have 150 in a coop ... What is the dimensions of your coop & run? What are you using for flooring material? Picture of your set up ...

The "basic" minimum is 4sq ft per chicken in a coop & 10sq ft per in a run ... BIGGER is always better. Sounds like you need more roost space, I would say block off the nest boxes at night so they can't roost in them, more flooring material for cleaner feet.
Just 100 total. coops 10 x 16 with 50 x 16 run attached. My roost are over head so it is more space each hen has about 2 sq feet each. If you count the run space its about 10 square feet per chicken. I could use a few more roost.You did give me a idea. I need to teach them to wash there feet!:lau

Last edited:
They are laying now but mostly pullet eggs.
Well, pullets do lay pullet eggs ;)

That's might crowded, IMO, not surprised you have sleeping and pooping in nests.
Cover nests an hour before roost time, then uncover when you lock up after dark.
Pics of your roosts and nests might help garner other possible solutions.

I don't know what breed you have, but I've got 12 RIR pullets in the back of a 10x20 shed (they have about the back 7' or so) and it seems a bit crowded to me (also have an 8x30 run they go out during the daytime so it's not as big of a deal).

I can't imagine having 100 in a 10x16 space, in addition to the space the roosts, feeders, etc takes up :eek:

Granted, I'm a newbie, but that seems very, very crowded. You've got 160 square feet of coop space (less feeders, etc) for 100 or so chickens. I've got 12 in a 70 square foot space (less feeders, etc) and they run into each other frequently (hence the run). But I lock them up at night for safety reasons and to avoid frozen eggs.

I would add onto your shed/coop and make it at least three times as big (so 30x16 minimum), as the one you have now. That way, you won't have them sleeping and pooping in the nest boxes and you won't have the ones on bottom getting pooped on from above.

Another bonus? Won't need to clean the coop as often either ;) I clean my coop area once a week, or once every two weeks if it isn't too bad (that once a week rate was when they were stuck in there most of the time due to us having to fix the run roof. Had a tarp for hawks but cat got in, so now it's wire supported by wood posts).

Anyway, if someone who's more experienced than I can chime in, that would be great :) But yeah, I think your coop is WAY too small for that many birds. I wouldn't feel comfortable putting less than half that in there, let alone 100! :eek:

I see no need to expand the current henhouse unless the birds are locked up in the henhouse aside from roosting at night. Make sure that there are plenty of roosts and that the roosts are set up in a way that the chickens won’t have to walk through poop from the previous night to get to the nest boxes.
I just had a great idea reading this!
I have no plans on expanding. The run is open 24 hours a day to them.They have plenty of space.my coop is about ten feet high and roosting is the only problem. I have 7 pvc feeders taking up one end.I built plywood nest boxes all the way around one side. It has a wide poop board over it and a row of roost above that.
Im going to make my roost ladders triple decker maybe quad with poop boars in-between . I didn't do it this way because its easy to clean the way I have it. But this is better then adding on more coops. I have 3 all about the same size already.
:ya

I’d really like to see 100 hens! How much feed are you going threw? Do you sell eggs or birds ?

Sounds amazing ... like a wildlife sanctuary:)

I do not ration it. and I go through about 2 bags in 3 days but we get a lot of eggs and sell them for 10 bucks for 3 dozen we sell all of them. I have to fight for a egg sandwich around here.:lau So we make a little change off our eggs I believe. My Turkeys and meat chickens I make a little off of. I sell my Cornish x for 20 bucks and my freezer is empty.
It is my sanctuary I love animals. I have two horses,3 dogs,1 cat around 15 turkeys two Roosters a easter egger and a fcm around 100 hens 70 bobwhite some are lose,22 corn x in my brooder.
4 grand kids on property.One wife but she has 5 sisters and sometimes I think a couple them think they live here also.

Back
Top Bottom