Egg Laying????? PIC heavy.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Foleys, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Foleys

Foleys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    Ok I know I have posted this before but I didnt get much feed back. I think my chickens are about 20 weeks old now and from what I am hearing they start about this age. Well the thing is is that mine have NOT [​IMG] and it is driving me crazy. We are not sure but we think we have only one hen but from what I can see we might have 2. None of them make the roo sound at all and by know if they were roos they would have wouldnt you think. I have also heard that hens mature and grow faster then roos if so then maybe I ony have 1 roo. I am so confused as to what we have. All I know is we have chickens. [​IMG] [​IMG] So can someone please help me to figure out what I have and why they are not laying yet.. I have put golf balls in the nests to see if that works but i only did it today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I know the white one is a roo for sure he makes the roo sounds.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:It's a little bit early to be frustrated that they're not laying yet. Give 'em another month or two.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Your pictures did not come through. You might try this.

How to post pictures/avatar
    http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=26838

Chickens do not start laying on a specific schedule. It varies tremendously by the hen. Out of 23, my first one started at 18 weeks. At 20 weeks, two more started, then another two started two weeks after that. So at 23 weeks, I had 5 laying and 18 not laying. If you only have a few, one may start soon or it may still be a long while. Six months is probably a pretty good average age to start, but averages don't mean a lot unless you have several chickens.

Good luck!

4. Foleys

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    Quote:It's a little bit early to be frustrated that they're not laying yet. Give 'em another month or two.

Just really really excited

5. Foleys

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    Sorry about that I had to edit the post.
    Quote:

6. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    I only see one pullet, sorry. It should be laying soon.

7. chickenprincess92

chickenprincess92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    I agree I only saw one hen, give her one to two more weeks that should do it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I agree. Only one pullet. As pink as her comb is, I think it will be a while before she starts to lay.

I don't know if it makes you feel any better, probably not, but 15% of the people that get 5 straight run chicks will get 4 male and 1 female. You are not as alone as you may think.

5 male 0 female - 1 in 32 or 3.1%
    4 male 1 female - 5 in 32 or 15.6%
    3 male 2 female - 10 in 32 or 31.3%
    2 male 3 female - 10 in 32 or 31.3%
    1 male 4 female - 5 in 32 or 15.6%
    0 male 5 female - 1 in 32 or 3.1%

9. rainierlass

rainierlass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2010
    Eatonville,WA
    Yep - - look like all roos except one to me too -[​IMG] - and she doesn't look real close to laying either - not red enough comb..

10. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Just like everyone told you on the previous post .. you have all roos .. except one. Be patient .. she WILL lay .. eventually.

Now it's time to plan on what to do with all those roos .. the white one is beautiful..

My young roos took forever to start crowing .. and when they did, it was one at a time. One would crow .. I'd find him a home, and the second one started .. found him a home .. and the 3rd one started .. lol.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by